having begun a journey (especially of a sea vessel); initiated; in progress; under construction
elect
dotted
effusive
underway

Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

ESL Forum | English for Beginners
Clauses | I'm a fourth year student
Present Perfect (Unit 16) #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 15, 2005 18:59 pm   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

The Present Perfect

How to build it

Subject + to have + past participle

The past participle
When employing regular verbs, you just have to add ‘–ed’ to the infinitive.
Examples:
to close – closed, to call – called, to cook – cooked

When employing irregular verbs, you take the past participle – usually the third form listed.
Examples:
to write – written, to take – taken, to bring – brought

So a Present Perfect sentence looks like following:

I have closed the door.
You have called the doctor.
He has cooked dinner.
She has written an article.
It has taken the newspaper.
We have brought a present.
You have watched TV.
They have worked hard.

When to use the Present Perfect

There are several words that indicate the use of Present Perfect, such as ‘yet’ ‘not…yet’ ‘since’ ‘for’ ‘already’ ‘just’ ‘ever’ .

You employ this tense when you want to show that the incident you describe has happened in the past and is still the case now. The exact time is not important.

Example: He has already been to London.
--> which means: he went to London at sometime in the past and today he can still say: 'I have been to London.'

Or: She has lived in Japan for twelve years.
--> which means: she went to Japan sometime in the past and is still living there. The action started in the past and has not finished yet.

:)
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

Unit 16 - Present Perfect #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 16, 2005 20:07 pm   Unit 16 - Present Perfect

Hi Sunny! I had difficulties with understanding perfect tense. My understanding was not clear after finishing my school. Now it is more better.
May I rely on you ( You should continue with Tenses)
Margaritka
Margaritka

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Present Perfect (Unit 16) #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 16, 2005 20:10 pm   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Hi, Margaritka!

I'm glad to know that this could help you. There will sure be more lessons on tenses in the future!

:) Sunny
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #4 (permalink) Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:31 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Hi, sunny.

Since elementary, I have found the perfect tenses of the verb hard to grasp. What a relief to know that this thread exists.

Anyway, I have a question:

What is the difference between these sentences:

She has danced for 30 minutes. (Present Perfect)
She has been dancing for 30 minutes. (Progressive Perfect?)

Do these sentences imply one thing: That 30 minutes has passed and she is still dancing until now? please. enlighten me.
Sylphidae

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #5 (permalink) Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:16 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Good question! :D

The tense you have employed in the second sentence it the Present Perfect Progressive or Continuous, yes.

Both of these tenses actually mean the same. The only difference is the following:
In the second sentence you focus on the process - the dancing is important and the duration is underlined, since it is a continuous form, whereas
in the first sentence you simply express that at the time you speak the person has danced for 30min.

Does that make sense?
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #6 (permalink) Fri Feb 25, 2005 17:33 pm   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Yes, it does!!
Bull`s eye! :lol:
Karina

Location: Poland

Question #7 (permalink) Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:42 am   Question

hi !

I am Hong, from Vietnam. Nice to meet you
Hope you help me to learn English
Hongnguyen

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #8 (permalink) Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:09 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

I can understand you. It was useful for me too. :cry:
Kat

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:35 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Hi Sunny,

I have also some question regarding Present Perfect Continuous Passive Sentences.

After reading your article i recalled the basic rule for Persent Perfect Continuous Tense i.e.

Subject + to have +been +verb(ing from)

But what happen if any other word come instead of past participle for examples,

He has been back at work.
The patient has been in a Cam walker.
He has been able to recover.

I am quite confuse about these sentences structures which i frequently use.
Dr. R. Saroj

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #10 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:40 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

The examples you have given are the Present Perfect Simple of the verb 'be'. In the same way also my previous sentence uses the Present Perfect Simple of 'have'.

_________________

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #11 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:52 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Thanks Alan,

I will go through for Present Perfect Simple Tense again for recalling.

Would you help me by giving an idea to avoid any confusion on Persent Perfect Tense.

Once agan thank you.
Dr. R. Saroj

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #12 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:57 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

One of the devices I used when I was classroom teaching to explain the Present Perfect Continuous was to refer to it as the 'umbrella' tense. In other words it covers three times: the past, the present and the future as in: I have been learning French for 5 years. This means I started 5 years ago (past). I am learning it now (the present) and I am going to continue learning it (future).

_________________

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #13 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:00 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

You might like to read a piece I have done for the site on the continuous forms:

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/2/index.html

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #14 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:13 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

Once again thank you,

I am wondering now are these given sentence are passive sentences or not. If yes in what form they will be in active voice.

He has been back at work.
The patient has been in a Cam walker.
He has been able to recover.

And also in which sense word "back" is used in first sentence i.e. noun, verb, or adverb.
Dr. R. Saroj

Present Perfect (Unit 16) #15 (permalink) Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:18 am   Present Perfect (Unit 16)

No these are 'active' in form. 'Back' here is used as an adverb.

_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

Clauses | I'm a fourth year student
ESL Forum | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Does the 3 years of physical presence have to be continuous or accumulation?Superlative form of Adjective and personality.offintroduce myrselfinstantly with the insinuatingpersonally from discussingGreetingsAdjective of quantity before words representing mental state.Is this possible ?What is the correct and why to say?answer the questionsPls give Feedback on "Tell about yourself" questionsI am Mahboobeh, I am working as quality expert at a computer company...