by hand; physically
smoothly
instantaneously
manually
anyhow

Meaning of "No chance of that"

Things will improve tomorrow? | Expression "it's only hear say"
Meaning of "No chance of that" #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 18, 2005 23:21 pm   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Test No. incompl/elem-30 "Responses (3)", question 4

Mike: 'If the party wins the next by-election, things might get better.'
Jane: '.........'

(a) There's no case of that.
(b) There's no chance of that.
(c) There's no promise of that.
(d) There's no concept of that.

Test No. incompl/elem-30 "Responses (3)", answer 4

Jane: 'There's no chance of that.'

Correct answer: (b) There's no chance of that.
_________________________

Please, answer me.

I don't understand why answer "there is no CHANCE of that" is wrong?
I don't see some diferent in those two answers?

Thank you
Veki
Veki

No chance of that #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 18, 2005 23:24 pm   No chance of that

This means it is not at all possible.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "No chance of that" #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 am   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Hey Alan, I`m a little confused you said it means it`s not at all possible, but I think that`s very different to say "there is no chance of that" this last in my opinion sentence tells me -there is no opportunity to get that- and the sentence you wrote tells me by the clue "not at all possible" there is still a hope to win, and the option i choose was "There is no promise of that" because it tells me "No one can assure you if the party is going to win"

Could you make this clear to me please?
Blazya

Location: Sabinas, Coahuila, Mexico

No chance of that #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:51 am   No chance of that

Hi Alan,

Why is it "There's no promise of that." is the incorrect answer?
it means we don't know if the new won party might give a better benefits to people.

Thank you
Zellzacks

Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Meaning of "No chance of that" #5 (permalink) Fri May 22, 2009 16:50 pm   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Hi Alan,
i'm wondering about the same thing. Why is "There is no promise of that" wrong?
I understand it as a way to say: "how do you know that anything would get better?"
cheers honorfield
Honorfield

Location: Melbourne

Meaning of "No chance of that" #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 16:02 pm   Meaning of "No chance of that"

yeah, my answer was also "There is no promise of that" because I think we don't know what will happen next.
Schwartz

Meaning of "No chance of that" #7 (permalink) Fri Jul 03, 2009 16:25 pm   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Jane is giving two opinions.

1) There is no chance of them winning.

2) Even if they did win, there is no chance of them making changes for the better.

"There is no chance", is the only logical answer.

_________________

Meaning of "No chance of that" #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:48 am   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Hi Torsten,
Could you please explain me the difference between 'There is no promise of that' and' There is no chance of that'?
_________________
Peace&Love
Mitra584

Location: Iran

Meaning of "No chance of that" #9 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Hi Mitra,

'There is no promise of that' would be an unusual construction and could indicate that there was no prospect of something happening/being done. The use of 'promise' with this sort of expression is more often used in a positive sense as in: There are signs that there is a promise of economic recovery in the world coming soon. 'There is no chance of' suggests that there is no possibility of something taking place as in: There is absolutely no chance of economic recovery taking place within the next couple of weeks.

_________________

Meaning of "No chance of that" #10 (permalink) Wed May 23, 2012 16:40 pm   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Dear Alan
thank you for your explaintion it realy new to me. There in no chance of making mistake again
in this topic.
Igal1

Meaning of "No chance of that" #11 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 13:48 pm   Meaning of "No chance of that"

Hi Mitra,

thank you..
why didn't i start to join this forum earlier??
Mariakesumo

Has just won vs. just wonmeet with somebody vs. meet somebodyTest incompl/inter-222, Question 4What does pass away mean?Takes afterwhy in this sentence we can not use leaved?What does the latest news mean?'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'How can cat be sitting on a wall?Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLYWhat does speak up mean?There's little hopeGive a lift to someone