definition; significance; intention; explanation
meaning
failure
citizenship
resignation

What is the difference between adapted and accommodated?

What is the difference in meaning between adaptable and compatible | What is the difference between paintings and sketches?
What is the difference between adapted and accommodated? #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:06 am   What is the difference between adapted and accommodated?

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #107 "Synonyms for fit and adapt", question 8

The light suddenly went out and I couldn't see anything but little by little I ......... my eyes to the darkness.

(a) adapted
(b) fitted
(c) accommodated
(d) matched

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #107 "Synonyms for fit and adapt", answer 8

The light suddenly went out and I couldn't see anything but little by little I adapted my eyes to the darkness.

Correct answer: (a) adapted

The light suddenly went out and I couldn't see anything but little by little I accommodated my eyes to the darkness.
_________________________

why do I have to use adapted instead of accommodated?

thank you
Anduy
Anduy

What is the difference between adapted and accommodated? #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 28, 2007 16:46 pm   What is the difference between adapted and accommodated?

Here you will find a few links to some related threads that might be of help:

accommodate vs suit

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of distinguishedinfinitive vs. gerundfar as an adverb?meaning of "Dressing up for work"How to use balance sheet?meaning of "external communication"whether you can help me to check my mistakes in my writingWhatis the meaning of whipping?What is the meaning of thrashing?allocate vs. arrangeMortgage supporting documents by signed on the same date that they are dated?hung up vs hung overWhat is the meaning of heightened?