colorful fabric with a pattern of square s and crossbars
suite
grooming
plaid
parentheses

What is the difference between paintings and sketches?

What is the difference between adapted and accommodated? | What is the meaning of thrashing?
What is the difference between paintings and sketches? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:20 am   What is the difference between paintings and sketches?

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #125 "Synonyms for task and duty", question 5

Dave, I can help you if you want. I'm very good at drawing and I could make some ......... for you to show what it looks inside, just quick drawings without too much detail.

(a) sketches
(b) scratches
(c) plans
(d) paintings

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #125 "Synonyms for task and duty", answer 5

Dave, I can help you if you want. I'm very good at drawing and I could make some sketches for you to show what it looks inside, just quick drawings without too much detail.

Correct answer: (a) sketches

Dave, I can help you if you want. I'm very good at drawing and I could make some paintings for you to show what it looks inside, just quick drawings without too much detail.
_________________________

Can you explain why we couldn't use paintings for the question?

Roni
Roni

What is the difference between paintings and sketches? #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:01 am   What is the difference between paintings and sketches?

if you look at the definition of painting you will understand that a painting is not something that looks like a quick drawing without too much detail :)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
what does "count on" mean?meaning of distinguishedinfinitive vs. gerundfar as an adverb?meaning of "Dressing up for work"How to use balance sheet?meaning of "external communication"whether you can help me to check my mistakes in my writingWhatis the meaning of whipping?What is the difference in meaning between adaptable and compatibleallocate vs. arrangeMortgage supporting documents by signed on the same date that they are dated?hung up vs hung over