Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

awareness; cognition; ability to perceive
consciousness
attorney
reverse
floor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between I used to and I was used to?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of eager | at harvest time
listening exercises
Difference between I used to and I was used to? #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 31, 2007 13:54 pm   Difference between I used to and I was used to?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Adverbs and Gerunds", question 5

When I was living in the country, I was used to get up very early to catch the train into the city.

(a) was living
(b) I was used
(c) catch

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Adverbs and Gerunds", answer 5

When I was living in the country, I used to get up very early to catch the train into the city.

Correct entry: I used
The error was: (b) I was used

which ones is wrong it doesn't make any sense.

Mark O.
Mark O.

Difference between I used to and I was used to? #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 31, 2007 14:06 pm   Difference between I used to and I was used to?

'used to [do]' (VERB) = to formerly do. I used to get up early but I don't do so nowadays.
be 'used to' (ADJ) = have the habit of. I am used to getting up early every morning.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
the difference between 'I was' and 'I was used to' #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:42 am   the difference between 'I was' and 'I was used to'

I was: is used to indicate a fact.
For example: I was a primary school teacher.

I was used to: If you are used to something, you are accustomed to it

a very good example about the difference between them can be found here mate! :)
Bangshws

Difference between I used to and I was used to? #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am   Difference between I used to and I was used to?

However, note that it does not fit into the structure of the test sentence. It would have to read "I was used to getting up very early...."

Meaning of eager | at harvest time
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
all the time he's taking it all in.I have a bad coldOne more newcomer…Money is a non-count noun.Did you hearcould you explain to me the difference between bring to and bring overFall to = to come by lot or chanceMeaning of "executive assistant"Meaning of striding?Less expensiveTalk to vs. talk aboutLittle more detailMeaning of 'ape'