Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to give; to match; to fit; to complement
interest
adorn
tenant
accord
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is North Dakota a compound word?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How can I realize if the question is right? | Use the term 'going chalk' to describe a person who picks all of...
listening exercises
Is North Dakota a compound word? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 10, 2007 0:21 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #147 "Compound words: someone, anyone, somewhere", question 2

Did ......... phone me when I was out?

(a) anyone
(b) someone
(c) everyone
(d) no one

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #147 "Compound words: someone, anyone, somewhere", answer 2

Did anyone phone me when I was out?

Correct answer: (a) anyone

is north Dakota a compound word?

Milkie
Milkie

Is North Dakota a compound word? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:19 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

Milkie wrote:
Is north Dakota a compound word?

Milkie

Yes, you could say that it is a proper compound noun.
Conchita
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Is North Dakota a compound word? #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:55 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

Of course, a proper compound noun ought to be properly capitalized, too:
North Dakota
:wink:

Is North Dakota a compound word #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 17:10 pm   Is North Dakota a compound word

Milkie wrote:
Is north Dakota a compound word?

No - they are two different words. North for the direction, Dakota for the Native Tribe. "Lakota" is a term used in conjunction with a language complex (and therefore derivatively for its speakers) across an area of the Northern Plains extending from western Minnesota to eastern Montana and northward to Alberta. Other terms are used now equivalently, now differentiated, with it, including "Sioux" and "Dakota."
The former is eschewed by some because it is a French corruption of an Ojibwa term, whereas Lakota and Dakota are autonyms and derive from the root for "friend" or "ally." It should be added, however, that in speaking colloquially in English, the term "Sioux" is often the one used by speakers themselves.

--------------------------------
Bobwilliams
North Dakota Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Bobwilliams

Is North Dakota a compound word? #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 17:23 pm   Is North Dakota a compound word?

Hi Bob,

And welcome to english-test.net!

This is an interesting question. I would have thought that using the term 'North Dakota' to refer to a fixed geopolitical zone qualifies it as a compound noun. Your description for 'direction' seems more adequate for a region such as North Africa/ northern Africa/ the north of Africa.

All the best,

Ralf
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Is North Dakota a compound word? #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:18 pm   Is North Dakota a compound word?

I notice you capitalized both words in your link, Bob. :wink:

Is North Dakota a compound word? #7 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

The main issue here is Why anyone is the correct answer? Does anybody can tell me? or should I have asked: Does anyone can tell me?[/b]
Frank Stern
You can meet me at english-test.net

Is North Dakota a compound word? #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

Please, can anyone tell me .?

Did anyone phone while I was out ?.

Frank, someone phoned while you were out.

Is North Dakota a compound word? #9 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

Thanks Kitisdad. According to your explanation I should've used: 1) Please in order to be more polite 2) Can instead of does 3) anyone with int. sentences 4) someone with aff. sentences. Please tell me whether these rules are correct or not. Can I use may instead of can; i.e. Please, May anyone tell me?.
Regards
Frank Stern

Is North Dakota a compound word? #10 (permalink) Mon Mar 23, 2009 13:12 pm   Is North Dakota a compound word?

No, but you can use 'could' or 'would'.

Is North Dakota a compound word? #11 (permalink) Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:32 am   Is North Dakota a compound word?

Thanks a lot Mister Micawber. It is very clear now.
Frank Stern

How can I realize if the question is right? | Use the term 'going chalk' to describe a person who picks all of...
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
'look after'/'look out for' have a close meaning. Why the former cannot be used?Bacon and ...?What is the difference between "initiative" and "initial"?Usage of considerIs the sentence Books are food for the brain a idiom?producing delightful aftertaste?Why not to say "milk and cookies"?What does "lips me off" mean?Meaning of "To strong arm"What does "thumbs" mean?What is exactly the meaning of nose?Sentence: This term refers to subjects that are of importance...meaning of "bring over"