to bind; to fasten with a rope or cord
insist
tie
boost
release

Idiom: "hot potato"

meaning of reliable | Meaning of reprimand
Idiom: "hot potato" #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 am   Idiom: "hot potato"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Hot expressions", question 4

I'm not quite sure how to handle the problem at the moment as it's not easy to explain a sort of hot potato.

(a) strange situation
(b) delicate situation
(c) grand situation
(d) big situation

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Hot expressions", answer 4

I'm not quite sure how to handle the problem at the moment as it's not easy to explain a sort of delicate situation.

Correct answer: (b) delicate situation

I'm not quite sure how to handle the problem at the moment as it's not easy to explain a sort of strange situation.
_________________________

What is hot potato anyway?

Elga
Elga

Idiom: "hot potato" #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:03 am   Idiom: "hot potato"

The test answer is above your question. Here is also a dictionary definition:

hot potato

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the meaning of aftermath?what is genre?a lot of hot air = powerful words?where we have to use the words hit and beat?What does "losing her skills" mean?Patriotism vs oathPhrase: Who is in charge of negotiations?What is the difference between spanks and pounds?What does leopard mean?meaning of nicheexpression: she would have been bittenHow may I direct your call? vs How may I help you?WHat does hazard mean?