binding; compelling; must be done; necessary
obligatory
widespread
enthusiastic
eligible

What is the difference between spanks and pounds?

Meaning of reprimand | Phrase: Who is in charge of negotiations?
What is the difference between spanks and pounds? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:07 am   What is the difference between spanks and pounds?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #109 "Synonyms for beat", question 7

Mary is a very calm and patient mother but lately she often ......... her naughty son.

(a) crashes
(b) whips
(c) spanks
(d) pounds

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #109 "Synonyms for beat", answer 7

Mary is a very calm and patient mother but lately she often spanks her naughty son.

Correct answer: (c) spanks

Mary is a very calm and patient mother but lately she often pounds her naughty son.
_________________________

why not ; pounds ?

ahmed
ahmedy

What is the difference between spanks and pounds? #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 pm   What is the difference between spanks and pounds?

We don't normally pound a child, not only because this isn't a collocation, but mainly because it would be far too brutal and also considered child abuse.

To spank is to smack on the bottom, which is what parents sometimes do to naughty (bad/disobedient) children.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
what is a minimum price for which a certain designated stock may be initially...What is the meaning of aftermath?what is genre?a lot of hot air = powerful words?where we have to use the words hit and beat?What does "losing her skills" mean?Patriotism vs oathIdiom: "hot potato"meaning of reliableWhat does leopard mean?meaning of nicheexpression: she would have been bittenHow may I direct your call? vs How may I help you?