Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

in the event of sudden need
own
preventive
regardless
emergency
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Are presents and presence homophones?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Using "had been" | Why did you tell me
listening exercises
Are presents and presence homophones? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:57 am   Are presents and presence homophones?

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #21 "Thank you letter", question 2

You are really a very kind uncle and I must say it was one of the best presence I have received this year.

(a) uncle
(b) presence
(c) received

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #21 "Thank you letter", answer 2

You are really a very kind uncle and I must say it was one of the best presents I have received this year.

Correct entry: presents
The error was: (b) presence

You are really a very kind uncle and I must say it was one of the best gift I have received this year.

Hardys
Hardys

Are presents and presence homophones? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 am   Are presents and presence homophones?

Yes, present=gift.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Are presents and presence homophones? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 am   Are presents and presence homophones?

Hi, Mister Micawber

Are presents and presence pronounced in more or less the same way so you can't tell them apart in speech, or do you usually emphasize that t letter in presents?
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Are presents and presence homophones? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 am   Are presents and presence homophones?

Yes, same pronunciation.

Did you change the thread title, LS? I don't think that is a good idea when a new member or visitor has started the thread-- especially in this forum-- because then s/he may have trouble finding it.

Are presents and presence homophones? #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 am   Are presents and presence homophones?

I'm afraid I don't have such power - to change titles (except when a thread is mine, i.e. I started it).
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Are presents and presence homophones? #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am   Are presents and presence homophones?

Very strange. I wonder who did it? I'll check.

Are presents and presence homophones? #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:48 pm   Are presents and presence homophones?

A whodunnit -- great!

Please keep the suspense a little longer!
Conchita
Language Coach

Are presents and presence homophones? #8 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 13:22 pm   Are presents and presence homophones?

lost_soul wrote:
Are presents and presence pronounced in more or less the same way so you can't tell them apart in speech, or do you usually emphasize that t letter in presents?

Even if you think you're pronouncing them differently (I say ['preznts] and ['prezns] respectively), they practically sound the same.
Conchita
Language Coach

Are presents and presence homophones? #9 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 17:20 pm   Are presents and presence homophones?

I think the question the original poster probably wanted to ask was why or whether 'gift' is an acceptable way to correct the error ('presence').

Obviously, the singular ('gift') would be incorrect, but I do hope that 'gifts' has been programmed in as being just as correct as 'presents'. :wink:

Are presents and presence homophones? #10 (permalink) Thu Nov 29, 2007 20:06 pm   Are presents and presence homophones?

Hi Amy,

You are right -- "gifts" would work as a correct answer as well and we've just added this word. Thanks a lot for pointing this out.
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: Working with food
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Are presents and presence homophones? #11 (permalink) Wed May 25, 2011 18:58 pm   Are presents and presence homophones?

Thanks for the post.
Omarrizk
I'm here quite often ;-)

Using "had been" | Why did you tell me
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The little girl longed towine related words and phrasesMy dog loves to sleep vs. my dog loves sleepNo one likes embarrassing himselfdestroy the old, condemned housebe out that latehave let you borrow vs. let you borrowGet along...Go home for the day...How much do you want for it?People often stub their toes.Let's wait in the lounge.I quit listening to her about 15 minutes into the conversation...