Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

next after the first; alternate; other; additional; subordinate; having a lower rank
meticulous
generous
admirable
second
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between say and tell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Give a lift to someone | Meaning of "that said"
listening exercises
Difference between say and tell #16 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:33 am   Difference between say and tell

Arrosique wrote:
Hi teachers
In the sentence "I'm not saying a word", would it be correct to say "I'm not going to say a word" instead? Would this phrase have the same meaning and in the same context?
Thank you for your excellent work.

Arturo

There is no significant difference between the two in every day usage.

The first indicates a present action.
The second indicates a future action, but as the action starts immediately you have finished saying 'I'm not going to say a word' then both phrases do the same job.
Language Coach

Difference between say and tell #17 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:43 am   Difference between say and tell

i don't know, in this context, i think it's not wrong because ... OMG, i don't know! but in structure aspect
"i'm not saying a word" and "i'm not telling a word" is right! right?
I'm here quite often ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between say and tell #18 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 am   Difference between say and tell

'I'm not telling a word' is incorrect.
Language Coach

Give a lift to someone | Meaning of "that said"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
to audition for a role?Has just won vs. just wonmeet with somebody vs. meet somebodyroute vs. rootWhat does the latest news mean?'as soon as' vs 'when'It can be like this know? Make vs. made'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'How can cat be sitting on a wall?Un-hot vs. coldDifference between SURELY and CERTAINLYWhat does speak up mean?Difference between say and tell