unit of time equal to 60 seconds; 1/60 of an hour; memo; protocol; memorandum
system
minute
garment
tender

Difference between say and tell

Give a lift to someone | Meaning of "that said"
Difference between say and tell #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 23, 2005 21:54 pm   Difference between say and tell

Test No. incompl/inter-9 "Say/Tell", question 7

It's no good trying to persuade me because I'm not ......... a word.

(a) tells
(b) saying
(c) telling
(d) told

Test No. incompl/inter-9 "Say/Tell", answer 7

It's no good trying to persuade me because I'm not saying a word.

Correct answer: (b) saying

It's no good trying to persuade me because I'm not telling a word.
_________________________

hello
would you explain me what is the difference between TELL and SAY in this context?
THANK YOU
CLAU

Difference between say and tell #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 13:11 pm   Difference between say and tell

Please, take a look at these three sentences:

Maria didn't say anything.
Maria didn't tell her husband anything.
Maria didn't say anything to her husband.

TOEFL listening discussions: What started this conversation?

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between say and tell #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 am   Difference between say and tell

what is the exact difference between say vs tell?
Anjuvaidoo

Difference between say and tell #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:43 am   Difference between say and tell

'Say' is usually used as another word for 'speak' as you can see in the examples above. 'Tell' is usually used with the meaning of 'relate' (a story) or 'inform'.

_________________

Difference between say and tell #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 04, 2009 0:54 am   Difference between say and tell

Hello Alan
In the sentence : It's no good trying to persuade me because I'm not saying a word.
Can you explain for me what is word : persuade in this sentence means? Thanks again.
Nganguyen

Difference between say and tell #6 (permalink) Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:08 am   Difference between say and tell

"Persuade" in this sentence means to "try to make the other person act or think in a certain way".

TOEFL listening discussions: How many types of IMA passes are available?

Difference between say and tell #7 (permalink) Sun Sep 06, 2009 0:59 am   Difference between say and tell

Thank you Torsten for your explaination .I'm clear now. and I really don't understand why it will be stop to send my next lesson just because I am watching on topic ? Will you please let me know why ? Thank you.
Nganguyen

Difference between say and tell #8 (permalink) Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:56 am   Difference between say and tell

Hi.
Thank you Torsten and Alan.
as far as I'm concerned.
1-You can tell someone about something ( Did you tell Linda about me....? (NOT say to Linda about...)
2-You can say to do something, but it is more usual to tell someone to do something
The teacher told us to open our books (NOT said us/said to us to...).
3- say is not normally followed by an object. For example, it cannot be followed by 'a story', 'a lie', 'some information', or 'an answer'. You tell a story, a joke, a lie, or the truth
4-You use say when you are mentioning someone's exact words. for instance, 'Hello,' she said. or Someone said, 'Let's go!'
_________________
Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana
Richard

Location: Malaysia (at present)

Difference between say and tell #9 (permalink) Sat Mar 05, 2011 15:57 pm   Difference between say and tell

hi everybody
im tan .a last year student from hanoi university of industry located in VIET NAM.
i m so delight of reconizing the mistake and a fuzzy understanding about difference between tell vs say. your explantion is so easy and clear. i still wanna thank your web again
hope to recieve and contribute my voice into this forum .nice to make friend with all of you
Buihuutan

Difference between say and tell #10 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 am   Difference between say and tell

Hi.
Would you please tell me can I use "It's not a good trying .... " instead of "It's no good trying...." in the test No.9, question 7 and what is the difference?
Thanks a lot.
Sedans

Location: Armenia

Difference between say and tell #11 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2011 18:49 pm   Difference between say and tell

The phrase 'not a good trying' doesn't make sense in any situation, Sedans.
_________________

Difference between say and tell #12 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 am   Difference between say and tell

Could you please tell me ,what dose it mean?
As far as I am concerned"
Thanks in advance.Suezana
Suezana2

Difference between say and tell #13 (permalink) Tue Jul 26, 2011 18:00 pm   Difference between say and tell

Hi teachers
In the sentence "I'm not saying a word", would it be correct to say "I'm not going to say a word" instead? Would this phrase have the same meaning and in the same context?
Thank you for your excellent work.

Arturo
Arrosique

Difference between say and tell #14 (permalink) Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 am   Difference between say and tell

Hi Arturo,

The sentences which you have coated above have different meaning. Using 1st one will mean the person who is being persuaded is silently listening the matter. And the 2nd will mean they might have argued and then the person being persuaded said 'i am not going to say beyond it'.

I request Alan to look into the explaination and let us know if i am comprehending the above sentences right or wrong.

Azad
Azadkumar

Difference between say and tell #15 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:40 am   Difference between say and tell

Azadkumar wrote:
Hi Arturo,

The sentences which you have coated above have different meaning.

"coated"?
Don't you mean "quoted"? =)
_________________

to audition for a role?Has just won vs. just wonmeet with somebody vs. meet somebodyroute vs. rootWhat does the latest news mean?'as soon as' vs 'when'It can be like this know? Make vs. made'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'How can cat be sitting on a wall?Un-hot vs. coldDifference between SURELY and CERTAINLYWhat does speak up mean?Difference between say and tell, page 2