to determine; to stabilize; to arrange; to repair; to prepare
would
resume
fix
warehouse

difference between "gaffe" and "blunder"

Phrase 'I relish chatting with those who...' | Phrase: completely lost track of what he was saying
difference between "gaffe" and "blunder" #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:55 am   difference between "gaffe" and "blunder"

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", question 8

Julia married to an old rich man when she was only eighteen because all she wanted was to be rich. Years later she realized it was a big ..........

(a) error
(b) blunder
(c) inaccuracy
(d) mistake

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", answer 8

Julia married to an old rich man when she was only eighteen because all she wanted was to be rich. Years later she realized it was a big mistake.

Correct answer: (d) mistake

_________________________

Could you tell me the difference between "gaffe" and "blunder" please?

Meral
Meral

difference between "gaffe" and "blunder" #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:38 am   difference between "gaffe" and "blunder"

.
A gaffe is a social blunder.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
difference between "gaffe" and "blunder" #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:11 am   difference between "gaffe" and "blunder"

I don't understand why I cannot use "blunder" here. Can you explain it to me?
Thank you in advance.
Babi

difference between "gaffe" and "blunder" #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:22 am   difference between "gaffe" and "blunder"

.
Blunder = a gross, stupid, or careless mistake. I don't think that the mistake by the lady in the sentence can be characterized in any of those ways.
.
_________________

Why could we not say 'an actual prototype' instead of the given answer?What does 'multiple choice test' mean?What does 'depressed' mean?What does fall or autumn mean?What does 'fall flat' mean?Alone or lonely?Expression: "in the right order"The boss came too. vs The boss came both.Can't we use "up and down"? What is up and away mean?What if we remove 'to' from the above sentence like '...of the school and confessearth vs heckCan't play ostrich?Paying back with your own coin?