representative; deputy; agent; participant of a conference, convention, seminar etc.
complex
proposition
delegate
report

usage 'boat' instead of 'ship'

phrasal verbs in English | English verb "led"
usage 'boat' instead of 'ship' #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 0:53 am   usage 'boat' instead of 'ship'

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "I really wonder", question 10

Never mind we're all in the same ship now and we shall have to work together in order to find a solution.

(a) Never mind
(b) in the same ship
(c) have to
(d) solution

ESL/EFL Test #11 "I really wonder", answer 10

Never mind we're all in the same boat now and we shall have to work together in order to find a solution.

Correct entry: in the same boat
The error was: (b) in the same ship

You have not found the error.
_________________________

we use 'boat' instead 'ship' in this sentence because of the expression 'in the same'. Don't we? or is it an idiomatic expression?

paradigma
paradigma

usage 'boat' instead of 'ship' #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:23 am   usage 'boat' instead of 'ship'

.
That's right-- 'in the same boat' is an idiom.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
"Doesn't know nothing" vs. "Doesn't know anything"It after when?phrase "told me to MIND my own business"Has the another's person real life or just only make up?"take off" vs "take up"meaning of "intense person"meaning of "hole up"what does 'print the flyers' mean?What does "stock quote ticker" mean?what is the difference between outcast and isolated?what's is the meaning of exaggerated?'The fire was caused' vs 'The fire were caused'Is there a formal way to say: pull your socks up?