to cause not to happen; to avert; to delay; to impede; to hinder
sponsor
travel
prevent
border

what does 'have a change of heart' mean?

seven engineering feats | 'live up a hill' versus 'live into a hill'
what does 'have a change of heart' mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 0:58 am   what does 'have a change of heart' mean?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "I really wonder", question 6

Although he had made every effort to show that he had had a change of heart and would try to go straight in the future, nobody was in the least convicted.

(a) every effort
(b) had had
(c) go straight
(d) convicted

ESL/EFL Test #11 "I really wonder", answer 6

Although he had made every effort to show that he had had a change of heart and would try to go straight in the future, nobody was in the least convinced.

Correct entry: convinced
The error was: (d) convicted
_________________________

what does 'have a change of heart' mean ? thank you for your explanation. best regard

paradigma
paradigma

what does 'have a change of heart' mean? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 am   what does 'have a change of heart' mean?

.
change of heart = change of mind for emotional reasons
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
what does 'have a change of heart' mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 pm   what does 'have a change of heart' mean?

wonder to know why not "go straightly in the future" it is not adverb here ?
thank you
Lili6

what does 'have a change of heart' mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 22, 2011 13:34 pm   what does 'have a change of heart' mean?

Not all adverbs have to end in 'ly'. Some adjectives remain the same when you use them as adverbs. For example: She drives a fast (adjective) car/ She always drives fast (adverb).

_________________

what does 'have a change of heart' mean? #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 22, 2011 13:39 pm   what does 'have a change of heart' mean?

go straight: (informal) to live a law-abiding life; no longer engage in crime or wrong behaviour.
_________________

mergers and acquisitionseasementhe leaned over to whisper somethingI don't sleep as wellPlease, explain to me why correct answer is CIs tipping a taxi driver customary"mostly important" or "most importantly"Will you, please, explain to me?figurative expressionDoes hysterically mean funny?difference between sight and viewWhat does 'get over' mean?insist vs consist