as soon as
immediately
either
unless
though

Meaning of "that said"

Difference between say and tell | Has just won vs. just won
Meaning of "that said" #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 20:40 pm   Meaning of "that said"

Test No. incompl/inter-9 "Say/Tell", question 3

That ........., they walked out of the room in total silence.

(a) told
(b) said
(c) telling
(d) saying

Test No. incompl/inter-9 "Say/Tell", answer 3

That said, they walked out of the room in total silence.

Correct answer: (b) said

That told, they walked out of the room in total silence.
_________________________

What is the difference?

joriens
joriens

Meaning of that said #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 21:04 pm   Meaning of that said

That said is a commonly used phrase while that told is not.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a university service representative

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of that said #3 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 16:02 pm   Meaning of that said

Torsten wrote:

What does "that said" means?
Irena

That said #4 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 17:19 pm   That said

Hi irena,

That said means after you've said that. In other words it has the idea that something is accepted and you can now go on to a new subject.

_________________

Meaning of "that said" #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:06 am   Meaning of "that said"

sorry sir, but I guess you're wrong. I think it always comes in the beginning of a concessive clause meaning yet, but...etc
e.g:
The Interpreter" would have more current-events clout if it dealt with specific issues in a real African country, rather than generic troubles in an imaginary nation. That said, the movie takes what amounts to a daring position in today's ideological climate
Awatef Alaa

Meaning of "that said" #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 am   Meaning of "that said"

I can only repeat: 'That said' means 'having said that'. In other words you use the construction to suggest that although what you (the writer) have said is taken for granted/accepted, you wish to add something else.

_________________

Meaning of "that said" #7 (permalink) Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 am   Meaning of "that said"

I agree with Awatef alaa.
Timtak

Location: Japan

Meaning of "that said" #8 (permalink) Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:19 am   Meaning of "that said"

Can you give us more examples about "That said" to help understand?
In addition, "That said" and "That being said", are they similar in meaning?
I met a sentence like this: That being said, I do love what he's done with that lawn.
Waiting for your help.

Clara
Clara

Location: China

Meaning of "that said" #9 (permalink) Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 am   Meaning of "that said"

English is a very difficult language. That said, there are many opportunities to learn English since it is spoken all over the world.

That said, means (to me), "While that (the preceeding is true) the converse (which follows) is also true;"

Or "While accepting the aftorementioned, it is also true that,"

The following may not directly contradict but at least qualify the aforementioned.

It is very similar in meaning to "That being said," which is a little more formal and perhaps a touch softer in the extent of the contradiction that it introduces.

There is are similar phrases in Japanese, I think: "とは言っても "とは言えるが
Timtak

Location: Japan

Meaning of "that said" #10 (permalink) Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 am   Meaning of "that said"

'That said' means 'having said that'. In other words you use the construction to suggest that although what you (the writer) have said is taken for granted/accepted, you wish to add something else.

Timtak wrote:

I agree with Timtak's and Alan's versions.

I've just heard one more example on one of the ESL podcasts.

Here is the transcript:

"The headline figures, except for inflation, are all great. Overall GDP is up 12%, growth in consumption is robust. But inflation is hitting basic food prices pretty hard.
For example, the CPI in Shanghai is up 8% on last year. That said, so far it's mainly affecting lower income brackets".

The person speaking is responsible for sales of nonessentials (luxury). And he finishes his speach with intent that inflation does not affect their customers, because they are all in middle to high income brackets.

So in this example "that said" is in much equivalent to "nevertheless". And Timtak's and Alan's versions also suit.
Andriy

Meaning of "that said" #11 (permalink) Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:14 am   Meaning of "that said"

Andriy,
I agree with you.
That said, in my opinion, following the information give before so which are the evidences show the clause after " that said " is true.
Pmoon

Meaning of "that said" #12 (permalink) Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 am   Meaning of "that said"

but I wonder that the clause after " that said " is only the private writer. In fact, it may be not true.
could you explain for me.
thank you very much.
Pmoon

Re: Meaning of "that said" #13 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am   Re: Meaning of "that said"

i can not understand the e.g
_________________
Woaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
MUuu...oa
Fouryz

Location: Viet Nam

is this word popular #14 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 am   is this word popular

is this word popular, because i don't think i will use it.
because i cannot under stand clearly what it means and what you guys are saying, please give me more simple examples!
_________________
Woaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
MUuu...oa
Fouryz

Location: Viet Nam

Meaning of "that said" #15 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:56 am   Meaning of "that said"

'e.g.' is a standard abbreviation that means 'for example'.
_________________

to audition for a role?meet with somebody vs. meet somebodyroute vs. rootWhat does the latest news mean?'as soon as' vs 'when'It can be like this know? Make vs. made'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'How can cat be sitting on a wall?Un-hot vs. coldDifference between SURELY and CERTAINLYWhat does speak up mean?Give a lift to someoneMeaning of "that said", page 2