intermediate to; common; shared
above
below
between
save

What on earth do you mean?

"Doesn't know nothing" vs. "Doesn't know anything" | What does "here and there" mean?
What on earth do you mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 15, 2007 0:42 am   What on earth do you mean?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Christmas is coming", question 3

A: What on world do you mean? I'm sorry I really don't know what you're talking about.

(a) world
(b) sorry
(c) you're talking

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Christmas is coming", answer 3

A: What on earth do you mean? I'm sorry I really don't know what you're talking about.

Correct entry: earth
The error was: (a) world

You have found the error and your entry is correct.
_________________________

what on earth do you mean? could you explain?

Funda
Funda

What on earth do you mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:46 am   What on earth do you mean?

.
'On earth' is an intensifier-- it makes the utterance ('What do you mean?') stronger.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
what does the phrase 'halt mass murder' mean?I think the word 'oftuberculosis' should be modified to 'of tuberculosis'Damaged beyond repair?idiom "He's gone right down in my estimation"Expression: You can't have your cake and eat itis "quick on the uptake" a phrase?These expressions are too literal!How to use "have to"?What does "sitcom is a riot" mean?It after when?phrase "told me to MIND my own business"Has the another's person real life or just only make up?"take off" vs "take up"