Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to convey passengers or cargo by boat across a small body of water
mull
proceed
approve
ferry
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

is "quick on the uptake" a phrase?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
These expressions are too literal! | Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it
listening exercises
is "quick on the uptake" a phrase? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 16, 2007 16:29 pm   is "quick on the uptake" a phrase?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Speed", question 2

As a child he had no problems learning foreign languages mainly because he was very quick on the ..........

(a) downturn
(b) upstart
(c) downfall
(d) uptake

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Speed", answer 2

As a child he had no problems learning foreign languages mainly because he was very quick on the uptake.

Correct answer: (d) uptake

Your answer was: correct

is "quick on the uptake" a phrase? thanks!

Dora
Dora

is "quick on the uptake" a phrase? #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 16, 2007 22:49 pm   is "quick on the uptake" a phrase?

Yes, it is an idiom which means quick to understand or learn. You have to cram it into your head :)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
These expressions are too literal! | Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Approximately 5 years ago you sold a miniature mesh jewlery holder...meaning of 'Pick up'when to use whose or who?Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle"what does the phrase 'halt mass murder' mean?I think the word 'oftuberculosis' should be modified to 'of tuberculosis'Damaged beyond repair?idiom "He's gone right down in my estimation"How to use "have to"?What does "sitcom is a riot" mean?What does "here and there" mean?What on earth do you mean?"Doesn't know nothing" vs. "Doesn't know anything"