to quit an office or position; to relinquish; to give up; to abdicate
detect
resign
fence
lead

Difference between check and explore

What does this idiom mean: "bear with me"? | Difference between checkout and sales point
Difference between check and explore #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 22:49 pm   Difference between check and explore

Test No. incompl/advan-16 "At the Shops", question 6

Whenever I go to the old part of a city, I like to ......... all the shops selling antiques.

(a) examine
(b) search
(c) check
(d) explore

Test No. incompl/advan-16 "At the Shops", answer 6

Whenever I go to the old part of a city, I like to explore all the shops selling antiques.

Correct answer: (d) explore

Whenever I go to the old part of a city, I like to check all the shops selling antiques.
_________________________

why not "check"?
Batarya

Difference between check and explore #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 23:02 pm   Difference between check and explore

To check is used in the sense of verifying or investigating. If you explore a shop you simply browse through it because you like the activity.

TOEFL listening discussions: Which best describes the student's current activity?

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of under the weatherStill vs. quietMeaning of make forMeaning of finished off quicklyHow do we use this construction: "as fast as possible" (as adverb as)Meaning of off sickMeaning of off-handIf you mention...Meaning of happy-go-luckyDifference between competitive and competingDifference between interact and interveneMeaing of blue collar workerMeaning of 'a mixed bag'