endorsement; approval; letter of reference; suggestion; advice
draw
misunderstanding
recommendation
precondition

Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it

is "quick on the uptake" a phrase? | idiom "He's gone right down in my estimation"
Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 18, 2007 15:08 pm   Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", question 3

You can't have your cake and eat it -- means: You can't ..........

(a) have another piece of cake
(b) have everything you want
(c) take the cake home
(d) possibly eat any more cake

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", answer 3

You can't have your cake and eat it -- means: You can't have everything you want.

Correct answer: (b) have everything you want
_________________________

please explain the meaning of the answer

sini
sini

Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:04 pm   Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it

.
.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Approximately 5 years ago you sold a miniature mesh jewlery holder...meaning of 'Pick up'when to use whose or who?Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle"what does the phrase 'halt mass murder' mean?I think the word 'oftuberculosis' should be modified to 'of tuberculosis'Damaged beyond repair?These expressions are too literal!How to use "have to"?What does "sitcom is a riot" mean?What does "here and there" mean?What on earth do you mean?"Doesn't know nothing" vs. "Doesn't know anything"