Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

endorsement; approval; letter of reference; suggestion; advice
draw
misunderstanding
recommendation
precondition
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
is "quick on the uptake" a phrase? | idiom "He's gone right down in my estimation"
listening exercises
Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 18, 2007 15:08 pm   Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", question 3

You can't have your cake and eat it -- means: You can't ..........

(a) have another piece of cake
(b) have everything you want
(c) take the cake home
(d) possibly eat any more cake

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", answer 3

You can't have your cake and eat it -- means: You can't have everything you want.

Correct answer: (b) have everything you want

please explain the meaning of the answer

sini
sini

Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:04 pm   Expression: You can't have your cake and eat it

You can't have your cake and eat it -- means: You can't have everything you want.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
is "quick on the uptake" a phrase? | idiom "He's gone right down in my estimation"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Approximately 5 years ago you sold a miniature mesh jewlery holder...meaning of 'Pick up'when to use whose or who?Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle"what does the phrase 'halt mass murder' mean?I think the word 'oftuberculosis' should be modified to 'of tuberculosis'Damaged beyond repair?These expressions are too literal!How to use "have to"?What does "sitcom is a riot" mean?What does "here and there" mean?What on earth do you mean?"Doesn't know nothing" vs. "Doesn't know anything"