movement; journeying
travel
equality
charge
deregulation

Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle"

I think the word 'oftuberculosis' should be modified to 'of tuberculosis' | when to use whose or who?
Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle" #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:38 am   Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle"

I like doing grammar exercises. It's like to find a way in a jungle. There is a self-study reference and practice book by M. Hewings. In unit 6 on the left-hand page it's said 'we use the past simple rather than the past continuous when we are talking about repeated actions or events in the past' and an example is given:

She slept very badly whenever she stayed with her grandparents.

On the right-hand side there are exercises to do. Doing the ex N 6.4 I've made a mistake:

Whenever I call in on Sam,he talked on the phone.('was talking' is the correct answer according to the key).

In my opinion 'whenever' indicates repeated actions in the past in both sentences.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

vladimir.
Vladimir

Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle" #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 25, 2007 13:26 pm   Meaning of the phrase "a way in a jungle"

Hi, Vovka ! (I guess it's OK :) )
I disagree with you. In that sentence we need to express the idea of the continuity of the "talk" action. Whenever I called in on Sam, he was talking on the phone.
Compare it with these (fundamental facts, something which remains the same):
Since when do frogs talk
Women talk all the time

Marry Christmas to you too, !

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
...a way in a jungle. #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 25, 2007 13:49 pm   ...a way in a jungle.

vladimir wrote:

I like doing grammar exercises.It's like to find a way in a jungle.There is a self-study reference and practice book by M.Hewings.In unit 6 on the left-hand page it's said 'we use the past simple rather than the past continuous when we are talking about repeated actions or events in the past' and an example is given:

On the right-hand side there are exercises to do.Doing the ex N 6.4 I've made a mistake:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
vladimir.
Hi Vladimir

There is a difference between the two sentences you gave. In the sentence "Whenever I called in on Sam, he was talking on the phone" there is a short past action (called) that interrupts a different, already on-going action (was talking).

In the sentence "She slept very badly whenever she stayed with her grandparents", the activity 'slept' is part of the whole activity 'stayed' -- it doesn't interrupt 'stayed' -- it's part of the same activity.
.
_________________

What is a database?Expression: I feel like taking the air at the momentWhat's the meaning of foreshadowing?It should be any child why it is any children'looks like' vs 'looks as'Approximately 5 years ago you sold a miniature mesh jewlery holder...meaning of 'Pick up'what does the phrase 'halt mass murder' mean?Damaged beyond repair?idiom "He's gone right down in my estimation"Expression: You can't have your cake and eat itis "quick on the uptake" a phrase?These expressions are too literal!