side by side; in alignment; on top of; up-to-date; well-informed
gradually
abreast
ostensibly
smoothly

what does furtive mean?

start or begin | Does it naturallyl sound in English- The theme of our lesson is ---- Thanks for
what does furtive mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 26, 2007 13:04 pm   what does furtive mean?

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Verbal Test", question 4

It was quite obvious from the secretive manner in which he left the shop and the ......... looks he kept giving that he hadn't paid for the items of clothing.

(a) furtive
(b) fugitive
(c) furious
(d) famous

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Verbal Test", answer 4

It was quite obvious from the secretive manner in which he left the shop and the furtive looks he kept giving that he hadn't paid for the items of clothing.

Correct answer: (a) furtive
_________________________

could you please explain the sentence?

Azazello
Azazello

what does furtive mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 27, 2007 16:21 pm   what does furtive mean?

Here is what dictionary.com has to say.
Furtive : taken, done, used, etc., surreptitiously or by stealth; secret: a furtive glance.
BuddhaGeo

Location: Tbilisi, Georgia

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
what does furtive mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:44 am   what does furtive mean?

Hello teachers,

Could you explain me please what is told in the second part of the sentence about? I mean '...the furtive looks he kept giving that he hadn't paid for the items of clothing'.

Thank you in advance,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

what does furtive mean? #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 am   what does furtive mean?

It was obvious that he hadn't paid for the items of clothing.
Why was it obvious? Because he (1) kept giving furtive looks and (2) because he left the shop in a secretive manner.

Hope it helps :)
_________________

Divide it correctly! #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 30, 2012 15:46 pm   Divide it correctly!

Hello teachers,

Your reply led me up to one point. Now I see what have confused me. It was the skipped preposition 'that'. It is my general stumble.

The full edition of the sentence must be:
'It was quite obvious from the secretive manner in which he left the shop and the furtive looks that he kept giving that he hadn't paid for the items of clothing.'

When I asked you to help me I had divided the sentence in other way like this:
'It was quite obvious from the secretive manner in which he left the shop' and 'the furtive looks he kept giving that he hadn't paid for the items of clothing'.

Once more question I have. What does 'keep giving' mean? When it is used, with which words?

Thanks a lot,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

what does furtive mean? #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 30, 2012 16:11 pm   what does furtive mean?

In this case 'kept giving' indicates that he kept on looking around in a furtive manner. He didn't just cast one furtive look, he did it several times, right up until the point where he left the shop.
_________________

Only the shortcut to it???Just curiousTo make the most of it?...you know the sort you can depend onTest incompl/advan-82, Question 10What are quirks?Difference between weather and climateGood at vs. good onWill vs. mightExpression: to be afraid ofWhat for? = why?Difference between exhausting and exhaustiveIt's about time