Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

anyway; anyhow; still; all the same
nevertheless
throughout
usually
abroad
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Usage of the phrase "riding a bike"

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
what is the difference between "during" and "through"? | ways of saying "out to lunch"
listening exercises
Usage of the phrase "riding a bike" #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:47 am   Usage of the phrase "riding a bike"

Hi Everyone,

First of all thank you so much for your continuous help. You're a great help for me. Thanks!

my topic now: riding a bike.

1. Is it possible to leave out the word 'bike' beside 'ride'?
e.g: 'I have a bike. My 2008 resolution is, that I will ride it more'.

2. is it possible to say sports facility in the following context?:
Cycling is one of the best sports facilities. OR Cycling is one of the best sport. / or sports (?).

3. go cycling - is a common expression?
I often go cycling in the mountains.

Thanks a lot again!
by,
Liza
Liza
I'm here quite often ;-)

riding a bike #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 07, 2008 22:49 pm   riding a bike

1. If everyone knows what "it" means, you can definitely leave out the word "bike".

2. A "sports facility" is a building where people do sports, so it's a gym, a track, a play field or a fitness center. So, no, you can't use "sports facility" in the way you were thinking. You can say, "Cycling is one of the best sport activities."

3. "Go cycling" is a very common expression. That sentence was perfect.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
what is the difference between "during" and "through"? | ways of saying "out to lunch"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Can a hawk observe its prey?Meaning of would (The speed of the rise in temperature would be far faster...)Using the word "AFTER" as a preposition of placelie v.s. layis Experience countable?"During" vs "Through"The usage of 'would'without vs unlessstationer's vs stationary shop vs paper shopPrepositions of time and place: in, on, at, and after. When do we use them?Expressing reconsideration at the end of a sentence.correct me please: it is the official policy not to collect such data"what for" vs "for what"