Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sticking together; forming a unit or union; united; related to each other
grateful
curious
unforeseen
cohesive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"what for" vs "for what"

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
first/second year student vs. in his/her first/second year | Expressing reconsideration at the end of a sentence.
listening exercises
"what for" vs "for what" #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:53 am   "what for" vs "for what"

Could you tell me what a difference is between what for and for what?

One more thing, Can u tell me which situation should goes with "what for", which goes with "for what"?

thank you
Dayjung

"what for" vs "for what" #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 07, 2008 21:15 pm   "what for" vs "for what"

"What for?" is usually a standalone sentence/question used to express interest in knowing the reasoning behind some action.
"for what" can be used in more complex sentences. You can check out some examples here.
Thanos
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
first/second year student vs. in his/her first/second year | Expressing reconsideration at the end of a sentence.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
The usage of 'would'without vs unlessstationer's vs stationary shop vs paper shopPrepositions of time and place: in, on, at, and after. When do we use them?what is the difference between "during" and "through"?correct me please: it is the official policy not to collect such dataways of saying "out to lunch"worth a short or worth the shotUsage of the phrase "riding a bike"know in the Past Perfect Continuous'The success of the Eric Canal spurred an area of canal building.' Help!The verb aim...Punctuating 'in fact'...