Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

benevolent; giving; unselfish; abundant; plentiful
generous
false
confidential
residential
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why is 'execute' not appropriate?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of wizard | When do you use something and when do you use anything?
listening exercises
Why is 'execute' not appropriate? #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 07, 2008 22:59 pm   Why is 'execute' not appropriate?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", question 5

The mafia people usually kidnap rich men's children for money and after that they ......... them.

(a) assassinate
(b) execute
(c) murder
(d) destroy

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", answer 5

The mafia people usually kidnap rich men's children for money and after that they murder them.

Correct answer: (c) murder

Your answer was: incorrect
The mafia people usually kidnap rich men's children for money and after that they execute them.

Why is 'execute' not appropriate?

Asterix
Asterix

Why is 'execute' not appropriate? #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 am   Why is 'execute' not appropriate?

execute is what the Government does to its convicted to death criminals.
the mafia is a bunch of criminals who only kill or murder innocent people (or assassinate politicians who are part of the Goverment) :)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why is 'execute' not appropriate? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 08, 2008 15:02 pm   Why is 'execute' not appropriate?

The word 'murder' is the best choice, but I wouldn't say that 'execute' is completely wrong in this sentence. In this sort of context, however, we'd usually say something such as "murdered/killed execution-style" (rather than "executed") if a murder is carried out in a way that resembles an execution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution-style_murder

@Torsten
I think quite a few of the sentences in this test could use some fine-tuning.
In this particular question, for example, the phrase "the mafia people" is quite unnatural. The word 'Mafia' is generally capitalized, and a member of the Mafia is called a "mafioso" (plural = "mafiosi").

Why is 'execute' not appropriate? #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:21 pm   Why is 'execute' not appropriate?

Hi Amy,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions -- we'll make the changes asap.
Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: A soccer field
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

meaning of wizard | When do you use something and when do you use anything?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
'When you have arrived at...' vs 'When you arrive at...'What is the meaning by up in the air?why is "go out lonely" an incorrect variant?realistic vs unachievablewhat percentage/formula is used for the employer when figuring the employers FICA'turn left' vs 'turn wrong'explanation of the word jeopardywhat is parking in securities trading practices?'applied for this job' vs 'interested in this job'What's the meaning of blow me down?How to answer the question 'How do you do?'anywhere vs somewherewhat do 'ill timed' and 'ill gotten' mean?