Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

probability; feasibility; chance; likelihood
concept
meter
transfer
possibility
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Still vs. quiet

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of under the weather | Meaning of happy-go-lucky
listening exercises
Still vs. quiet #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:03 pm   Still vs. quiet

Test No. incompl/inter-83 "Save Our Animals (3)", question 6

and people who had been running about pell mell (in confusion) were now standing ......... and listening to the speeches.

(a) quiet
(b) still
(c) upright
(d) quite

Test No. incompl/inter-83 "Save Our Animals (3)", answer 6

and people who had been running about pell mell (in confusion) were now standing still and listening to the speeches.

Correct answer: (b) still

Your answer was: incorrect
and people who had been running about pell mell (in confusion) were now standing quiet and listening to the speeches.

Hello,

I guess the clue that enables one to choose between "quiet" and "still" is the succession of adverbs "pell-mell", "higgedly-piggedly", "harum-scarum", which indicates movement rather than noise? And the verb "to stand".
Still, the sentence woulb be correct with "quiet", both grammatically and semantically, wouldn't it?
Helen

Still/quiet #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 27, 2005 14:20 pm   Still/quiet

Hi,

When I write these exercises, I mentally check each list of 4 possibles to see whether there would be a chance of using more than one. In this sentence I deliberately chose still because I think you would need an adverb and quietLY is not one of the 4.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of under the weather | Meaning of happy-go-lucky
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of to deal withReach the endWhat does 'regarded' mean in this context?Difference between squabble and quibbleMeaning of any other businessMeaning of what on earthMeaning of make forMeaning of finished off quicklyHow do we use this construction: "as fast as possible" (as adverb as)Difference between launderette and laundererLead you to believeMeaning of off sickMeaning of off-hand