in place of; as a replacement
instead
originally
downtown
severely

What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

The company celebrated. | Difference between travel and trip
What's the simple past form of 'must'? #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 27, 2005 13:16 pm   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", question 1

I ......... go to see the doctor last week because I was very ill.

(a) must
(b) must to
(c) had to

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", answer 1

I had to go to see the doctor last week because I was very ill.

Correct answer: (c) had to

I must go to see the doctor last week because I was very ill.
_________________________

Neyl
Neyl

Had to #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 27, 2005 13:30 pm   Had to

Must doesn't have a simple past form, that's why you have to use had to instead.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A building site at dawn

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What's the simple past form of 'must'? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:03 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

So, we can't use might as a simple past form of must, can we? Because I've heard somebody use it... Please give me the answer...
Kharisma

Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:18 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Kharisma wrote:

No, we can't, since 'might' is used to express possibility, not obligation.

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:16 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

O, iya... i see... thank you very much! ^_^
Kharisma

Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Had to #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:30 am   Had to

I see your means. But could you tell me the differences between usage of "must" and "have to"? Thanks in advance!
Baoyen

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #7 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

If you want to know the difference between "have to" and "must", you might be interested in reading this: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic1169.html

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #8 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Hi Torsten

It seems I don't receive english lesson 5, I receive english lesson 4 and 6.

I have two mistakes to exercice about modal verbs

Can you send me english lesson 5, please ?

Thank you for your lessons.

Claudine
Claudine

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #9 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:20 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Hi Claudine,

Many thanks for your message. Could you please check your email inbox again? I know that email lesson 5 has been sent out and the other subscribers have received it. Maybe it got caught in your spam filter?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Highway traffic

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #10 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Hi Torsten,

Sorry, you're right.
The message was in my spam filter.
Now, I am goint to do my exercices

Write you later (can I say that like "see you ater"?)

Claudine
Claudine

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #11 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:37 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Hi Claudine,

Good to hear you found lesson number 5. As for your questions, maybe "talk to you later" would work here.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Reading on an airplane

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #12 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:19 pm   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

claudine wrote:
Write you later (can I say that like "see you later"?)

Claudine

To slightly derail the topic, you may occasionally see things like "write you later", "read you later", "Text you later", or my personal favorite (I actually use this) "type you later".

However, they do sound a bit funny, and indeed there's humor intended in using them, and the meaning isn't meant to be taken seriously. Usage isn't widespread, and should be avoided in any formal situation.

However, if you want to have some fun with some of your friends in a trivial email/chat situation, why not use it? :D

Just be aware that if you use it, somebody's going to laugh at you, so if your intent is to purposely try and make them laugh, then it's all good. If you don't want them laughing at you, or to think you're being silly, then avoid using it.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #13 (permalink) Mon Jul 21, 2008 19:46 pm   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

Hi Skrej,

Thank you for your explanation.
As I am a funny woman, I am going to use, in my informal emel, your expression, I like it :D

Type you later

claudine
Claudine

English Lesson 6 #14 (permalink) Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:39 am   English Lesson 6

Dear Mr. Torsten,

Good morning to you and my hello to all forum members. Thank you very much for your English Lesson - 6 and your coaching. I am in the process of learning new things through this English class.

As you said Today is an exciting day. When I opened my mailbox I could see your mail and I am very excited. I read the lesson and attended modal verb test. I got 10 out of 10. I am so happy. I had little confusion still I could select the correct one.

Regarding Possessive "s" the red color is possessive"s" and the blue one is verb. Is it correct ?
Through this lesson I also understood the difference between 'must & had to'.

I am anxiously waiting for your next English lesson.

With thanks & regards

Rani Tomy
Ranitomy

What's the simple past form of 'must'? #15 (permalink) Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:41 am   What's the simple past form of 'must'?

.
Hello, Rani. We are glad you are enjoying the lessons. I hope you are 'eagerly' (= with happy anticipation) waiting for the next lesson, not 'anxiously' (= with worried anticipation).
.
_________________

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
The company celebrated because they have been in business for a century.metric measuring system called the Celsius unitMalnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.Referring to animals with its/his/her?Expression 'Cash in hand'The meaning and the usage of the word "mirage"Aurora borealis concerns specific areas, doesn't it?honors vs motionsSlowdown vs. slownessmeaning of ShortfallWhat is a 'lump sum'?Difference between balance and cost