Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

commonplace activity; everyday task; habit; custom; practice
implement
comment
bother
routine
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'him' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
why do I should choose worry not think? | Background - working experiences
listening exercises
What does 'him' mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:15 am   What does 'him' mean?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", question 1

So did you give the book to .........?

(a) his
(b) him
(c) he

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", answer 1

So did you give the book to him?

Correct answer: (b) him

what is the meaning of him

samhath anwar starlight
samhath

What does 'him' mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:29 am   What does 'him' mean?

PRONOUN: The objective case of 'he'. 1. Used as the direct object of a verb: They saw him at the meeting. 2. Used as the indirect object of a verb: They offered him a ride. 3. Used as the object of a preposition: This telephone call is for him. 4. Informal Used as a predicate nominative: It's him.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'him' mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:34 pm   What does 'him' mean?

PRONOUN: The objective case of 'he'. 1. Used as the direct object of a verb: They saw him at the meeting. 2. Used as the indirect object of a verb: They offered him a ride. 3. Used as the object of a preposition: This telephone call is for him. 4. Informal Used as a predicate nominative: It's him.

what means It's him ???
Lili6
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does 'him' mean? #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 pm   What does 'him' mean?

A: Look! Over there it's my old boyfriend.
B: Are you sure?
C: Oh yes. It's him. I'm sure of it.

What does 'him' mean? #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 02, 2011 13:02 pm   What does 'him' mean?

thanks , but if I fill the test I will write " he is my old boyfriend .... Yes, he's . "

maybe i couldn't understand well ???
Lili6

What does 'him' mean? #6 (permalink) Fri Sep 02, 2011 14:25 pm   What does 'him' mean?

No, I don't think so, but I cannot be sure unless you write your sentences properly. Sentences start with a capital letter and end with a period, exclamation mark or question mark. Also, "He's" cannot stand alone without a predicate.

What does 'him' mean? #7 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 am   What does 'him' mean?

I 'd like to discuss this, if it is possilble, thanks

A: Look! Over there it's my old boyfriend.
C: Oh yes. It's him. I'm sure of it.

If I fill the test I will write such way ...

A: Look! Over there he's my old boyfriend.
C: Oh yes. That is he. I'm sure of it.
Lili6

What does 'him' mean? #8 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 am   What does 'him' mean?

'That is he' should be 'that is him' if your wish to sound natural, but other than that your version is a correct alternative.
Language Coach

What does 'him' mean? #9 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:06 am   What does 'him' mean?

Hi Lili6,

As was mentioned last week, the verb 'be' doesn't take a direct object but in ordinary conversation as in your example, it would be common practice to say: It is him. A good example of this is when you knock on someone's door and they ask who is knocking, you would invariably say: It is me/It's me and not 'It is I'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

why do I should choose worry not think? | Background - working experiences
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Does your cat purr?Please help me with letter writing!Elephants never forgetwhat time do you clock off?turn the clock back.play vs controlwhat does "when do you clock with" mean?Idiomatic expression: close proximityHow do we use "just"?Haste vs. hurryIdiom: before the storm breaksIt was my pleasureDifference between opposite and opponent