of publicizing; of advancement; of encouragement; of fostering; of an enterprise
incentive
promotional
measurable
civic

relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

interest vs. interestingly | Why it is used "was going to"?
relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 23, 2008 17:00 pm   relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

ESL/EFL Test #154 "English grammar and vocabulary questions", question 1

I had to keep my daughter home from school today because she had a ......... of 38 degrees.

(a) fever
(b) headache
(c) temperature
(d) warmth

ESL/EFL Test #154 "English grammar and vocabulary questions", answer 1

I had to keep my daughter home from school today because she had a temperature of 38 degrees.

Correct answer: (c) temperature
_________________________

how is the relation between one word to another called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? (example rebuild to rephrase) it's not a synonym so what is it?

Kristi
Kristi

relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 23, 2008 17:07 pm   relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

For example:

The words rebuild and rephrase both have the same prefix (re-).
The words happiness and fairness both have the same suffix (-ness).

Is that what you wanted to know?
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 pm   relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

Why "had a fever of 38 degrees" is incorrect?Best regards,Oinas.
Oinas

Location: Finland

relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm   relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

It isn't incorrect. Read the text again.
_________________

relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 17:23 pm   relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

Hi Mr Kitosdad, the correct answer to this sentence is : temperature, but why not: fever? About the same asked Oinas. Please help us both and other learners,
we are waiting patiently :)

relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike? #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 20:14 pm   relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?

Because it is temperature which is measured in degrees.
A fever might be the reason you have a temperature.
_________________

My friend is brokeHe always helps out the underprivilegedout of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment'Whose' in questionsDoes 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'?What does 'Priceless' mean?Come under a lot of scrutiny?Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?"break away" vs "break out"meaning of aftertastecorrelative of comparison: as ... astax return vs tax declarationWhat is the difference between 'voyage' and 'carriage'?