partitioning; department; faculty; ranking; level according to difficulty
elaboration
change
division
protection

Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"?

meaning of 'anything else' | What does this expression mean: He's got it into his head?
Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 27, 2008 19:05 pm   Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"?

ESL/EFL Test #409 "Air Idioms", question 3

There's a lot of discussion in the air about it -- means: ..........

(a) that's not definite
(b) that's not available
(c) that's not present
(d) that's not open

ESL/EFL Test #409 "Air Idioms", answer 3

There's a lot of discussion in the air about it -- means: that's not definite.

Correct answer: (a) that's not definite
_________________________

the answer is right or wrong?

JayLo
JayLo

Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"? #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 27, 2008 19:55 pm   Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"?

The correct answer is: That's not definite.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"? #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 am   Expression: in the air means "it's not definite"?

My first interpretation of that sentence would be that 'it' is currently a popular or widespread topic of conversation. In other words, the words 'in the air' could basically be replaced by the word 'about'.

To me, when something is not definite or unsettled, it is "up in the air".
.
_________________

Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit...What is the meaning of "what's going on"?The past tense of hang, is hanged?Should be the verb in the past after a conjunction?Some examples of common nounsWhat does Tipple and Topple mean?provider vs producerIs "it had been stolen" a rule of aplication?What if the boss is a woman?meaning of 'he always demands his total satisfaction'what does "non-fiction" mean?since parts of each word's definition is again, does that similarity between...What does "live me in peace" mean?