structure in which horses and other animals are housed
spy
imperative
health
stable

What if the boss is a woman?

What does this expression mean: He's got it into his head? | Is "it had been stolen" a rule of aplication?
What if the boss is a woman? #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 29, 2008 18:20 pm   What if the boss is a woman?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", question 7

A good boss is someone who shows appreciation at Christmas time for all the work his employed have done throughout the year.

(a) appreciation
(b) employed
(c) throughout

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", answer 7

A good boss is someone who shows appreciation at Christmas time for all the work his employees have done throughout the year.

Correct entry: employees
The error was: (b) employed
_________________________

question?

Goga
Goga

What if the boss is a woman? #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 29, 2008 21:32 pm   What if the boss is a woman?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a question:
What if the boss is a woman? :wink:
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What if the boss is a woman? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 29, 2008 23:09 pm   What if the boss is a woman?

A female boss? What is the world coming to?! I didn't think women could work outside of their homes!

hehe
-----

substitute "her" for "his"

(I know, I know -- Captain Obvious)
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

What if the boss is a woman? #4 (permalink) Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:23 am   What if the boss is a woman?

Yankee wrote:
What if the boss is a woman? :wink:
.

I'm currently reading a book on computers where the author decided to use "she" in lieu of the accepted in technical literature "he" when he reffered to a user. :) I had never stumbled upon such a book in my life before I started reading it

What if the boss is a woman? #5 (permalink) Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:39 am   What if the boss is a woman?

prezbucky wrote:
substitute "her" for "his"

(I know, I know -- Captain Obvious)

Now, how did I know you would say that, Tom? :wink:
Wasn't there a rather lively discussion of the "he/she vs their" issue when you first started posting here? :lol: :wink:
.
_________________

What if the boss is a woman? #6 (permalink) Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:16 am   What if the boss is a woman?

prezbucky wrote:

Hi Tom,

A joke for you,especially:

A: "Why donīt women need an umbrella?"

B: "Because it never rains in kitchen or bedroom!"

Machos all over the world, join us!!! :)
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

What if the boss is a woman? #7 (permalink) Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:49 am   What if the boss is a woman?

Michael, I have one that is not so biased. Forwarded from a friend.

A teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English,nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

"House" for instance, is feminine:
"la casa."
"Pencil," however, is masculine:
"el lapiz."
A student asked, "What gender is 'computer'?"

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The boy's group decided that "computer" should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computadora"), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

The girl's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ("el computador"), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time
they ARE the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The girls won!

P/S: I find number 4 is so true, on both sides, which of course works fine for me and other girls too, I suppose. Take that, all you machos out there. Jerk!
:lol:
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

meaning of "dressing gown"Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit...what's difference between cliche and proverb?What is the meaning of "what's going on"?The past tense of hang, is hanged?Should be the verb in the past after a conjunction?Some examples of common nounsWhat does Tipple and Topple mean?provider vs producerExpression: in the air means "it's not definite"?meaning of 'anything else'meaning of 'he always demands his total satisfaction'what does "non-fiction" mean?