to convince; to induce; to sway
persuade
operate
dash
bargain

what's difference between cliche and proverb?

Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit... | meaning of "dressing gown"
what's difference between cliche and proverb? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:56 am   what's difference between cliche and proverb?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Clothing Idioms (1)", question 1

That little boy has ants in his pants.

(a) washed his clothes
(b) plays in the dirt
(c) cannot sit still

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Clothing Idioms (1)", answer 1

That little boy cannot sit still.

Correct answer: (c) cannot sit still

_________________________

Fima
Fima

what's difference between cliche and proverb? #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:26 am   what's difference between cliche and proverb?

.
CLICHES are boringly repeated phrases, often metaphoric. PROVERBS are traditional sayings which carry (usually) social advice of some sort.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
An agent highest duty is to his principal but his duty to the third party...Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'?How do you say 'make your dog pee' as in I walk out Doggy to let him pee?Shouldn't there be an article in front of a Noun?What does accrual mean?"Sue's flight" - is correct?what is the meaning of the word chintzy?what is the difference between simile and metaphore?'before' vs 'as soon as'What is the meaning of "what's going on"?The past tense of hang, is hanged?Should be the verb in the past after a conjunction?Some examples of common nouns