something or someone that does not match up to standards; object of lower quality; outcast
reject
divide
scanner
doubt

Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit...

What is the meaning of "what's going on"? | what's difference between cliche and proverb?
Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit... #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 02, 2008 16:21 pm   Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit...

ESL/EFL Test #230 "Tort Law", question 1

Torts are civil wrongs recognized by law as ......... for a lawsuit.

(a) appropriate
(b) evidence
(c) foundation
(d) grounds

ESL/EFL Test #230 "Tort Law", answer 1

Torts are civil wrongs recognized by law as grounds for a lawsuit.

Correct answer: (d) grounds
_________________________

Question - Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit in securities. He approached Bradley a financial adviser at “Who Trades Wins” Plc (WTW). Staff at WTW had been under enormous pressure to earn high commission for the company through the selling of high risk but highly lucrative investments. Bradley therefore advised Ian to invest in a unit trust package run by an off shore insurance company, “Bermuda Triangle” (BT) despite the fact that the financial press had previously criticised the BT unit trust as being “far too speculative a package for the novice investor”. Within months the unit trust had collapsed and Ian lost his investment.

Ian’s spirits were however raised by a letter received from his ex-wife Mel. Since their divorce, Mel had become a successful but lonely television actress. The letter informed Ian that Mel was leaving her entire fortune to him, including rare pieces of antique jewellery in a will being drawn up by Marcus Dodgeman. Mel died three months later and Ian discovered that Marcus had not yet drawn up the will, even though he had received the instructions from Mel six months earlier.

Distracted by this run of bad luck, Ian was driving at 40 miles per hour in a residential area adjacent to a secondary school (the speed limit being 30 mph), when he ran into Ben aged 12. Ben had been running across the road without looking in order to make it in time for registration. The whole incident was watched by Ben’s grandmother Peggy, who had just dropped him off. Peggy who is responsible for Ben’s welfare during the long periods that his father spends in prison has suffered post traumatic stress disorder.

Advise Ian of any action he may take against Who Trades Wins plc and Marcus. Advise him of his liability to Peggy and any defences he may use against Ben who was injured in the crash.

Machony
Machony

Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit... #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 02, 2008 16:47 pm   Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit...

.
Tell Ian to forget Who Trades Wins like a bad dream, but that he might as well sell his car and house and any other assets he may possess, because the money is all going to go to Ben via his legal guardians. However, he can tell Peggy to take a long run off a short bridge because she isn't going to get a plug nickel out of the whole mess.
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'?How do you say 'make your dog pee' as in I walk out Doggy to let him pee?Shouldn't there be an article in front of a Noun?What does accrual mean?"Sue's flight" - is correct?what is the meaning of the word chintzy?what is the difference between simile and metaphore?'before' vs 'as soon as'meaning of "dressing gown"The past tense of hang, is hanged?Should be the verb in the past after a conjunction?Some examples of common nounsWhat does Tipple and Topple mean?