to illustrate; to elucidate; to interpret; to describe; to define
explain
voice
lecture
impede

what is the difference between simile and metaphore?

'before' vs 'as soon as' | what is the meaning of the word chintzy?
what is the difference between simile and metaphore? #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:41 am   what is the difference between simile and metaphore?

ESL/EFL Test #269 "Literary Terms (1)", question 4

Jonathon was like an eager puppy -- always willing to have fun and make people smile. This phrase is an example of a ..........

(a) metaphor
(b) simile
(c) satire

ESL/EFL Test #269 "Literary Terms (1)", answer 4

Jonathon was like an eager puppy -- always willing to have fun and make people smile. This phrase is an example of a simile.

Correct answer: (b) simile

_________________________

whats the different between simile and metaphore?

susan
susan

what is the difference between simile and metaphore? #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 am   what is the difference between simile and metaphore?

A simile is an expression that makes a comparison as in: She was so angry that she roared at everyone like a lion. The comparison is made between the noise she made and the noise made by a lion. If you omit the 'like' or 'as' and go to the next stage and use the word where the comparison is understood but not mentioned, the word/expression becomes a metaphor as in: The football crowd roared as the last goal was scored. In that last sentence there is no comparison mentioned but the verb 'roared' is used as a metaphor.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between lonely, lonesome and solitarydifference between precursors, predecessors and progenitorsWhat is a synonym of "feature"? Can I use it as the adjective?An agent highest duty is to his principal but his duty to the third party...Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'?How do you say 'make your dog pee' as in I walk out Doggy to let him pee?Shouldn't there be an article in front of a Noun?What does accrual mean?"Sue's flight" - is correct?meaning of "dressing gown"Question: Having sold his fast food business, Ian decided to invest the profit...what's difference between cliche and proverb?What is the meaning of "what's going on"?