least possible amount; smallest possible size; lowest degree
minimum
revise
launch
statistics

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

depend on vs hang on | Why do we say "the Romans" as opposed to "Romans"?
How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 01, 2005 13:40 pm   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", question 4

I may ......... able to come to your party if I have the time.

(a) be
(b) being
(c) being to

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", answer 4

I may be able to come to your party if I have the time.

Correct answer: (a) be
_________________________

Ioana
Ioana

May #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 01, 2005 13:48 pm   May

May is like can and must because the following verb is in the infinitive form. The correct answer is: I may BE able to come.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 23:00 pm   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

I think "no one say ; I may be able ....". I used to hear "May be able to.....".
Amiranow

Location: Egypt

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:05 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

.
I'm not sure what you are asking, Amiranow, but the phrase, "I may be able to" + verb is a common phrase to express possibility.

We may be able to explain more to you if you clarify your question.
.
_________________

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:38 pm   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

You have already answered me . I want to say it isn't commonly used in offering but you tell me it's used to express how much it's possible .
Amiranow

Location: Egypt

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #6 (permalink) Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:07 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

I can't understand this sentence clearly.
May you clarify its struture?
it's great if you give me some example...! :)
Thanks a lot!
Issa

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #7 (permalink) Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:58 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

.
Which sentence, Issa?
.
_________________

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #8 (permalink) Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

:) Hi
This sentence is "I may be able to come to your party ....".
I don't understand why used "may be able". what's meaning of this sentence?
can I say: "I may be come to your party..." ???
I don't know it's tense. so I can't understand its meaning clearly. :(
could you please help me!
Thanhs!
Issa

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #9 (permalink) Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:14 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

.
I may be come to your party.

This verb is in simple present and a paraphrase is: It is possible that I can come to your party. The speaker is unsure of his attendance; perhaps he has to work that night, so cannot come, but he does not yet know for sure.
.
_________________

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #10 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:34 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

you said:
"The speaker is unsure of his attendance; perhaps he has to work that night, so cannot come, but he does not yet know for sure."

That is meaning of which sentence? "It is possible that I can come to your party" or "I may be able to come to your party "

Does meaning of sentence "I may be able to come to your party " change if I don't use word "able" in it?
if it does, how change it will?

Thanks for your share! ;)
Issa

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #11 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

.
I'm sorry, Issa-- my typing is terrible. 'May be to come' is no good. I meant to write:

I may be able to come to your party.

These all have the same meaning:

"It is possible that I can come to your party."
"I may be able to come to your party. "
.
_________________

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #12 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:13 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

Hi!Alan
Can you explain to me the different between maybe and may be? I think maybe(that in one word) =probably, can, must, and may be(that in two words) =?
Vancao

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #13 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:25 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

.
MAYBE

'Maybe' is an adverb meaning 'perhaps, by chance, possibly': Maybe I can help you. Maybe he is drunk. Maybe she dances well.

MAY BE

'May' is an auxiliary verb of possibility: I may see him tonight. They may not expect us. He may lose the game.
'Be' is the infinitive of the copular verb, 'be': He can be very rude. They should be there by midnight. I may be late tonight.
.
_________________

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #14 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 am   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

Vancao wrote:
Hi!Alan

Please note the difference between 'difference' (noun) and 'different' (adjective).

TOEIC listening, question-response: How often do we have staff retreats?

How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly? #15 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 17:37 pm   How do we use the "modal verbs" correctly?

what is auxiliary verb and what is infinitive of copular verb? couldn't able to get the difference....please make me clear..
Rekhabiota

Planktonspecies - man - acquired ????When don't I use a comma before "because"?Meaning of this phrasewhats the diffrence in the use of articles??can you help me?Why is there "S" been add eventhough after the word usually?Meaning of "bear up"Credulous vs. credibleDifference between believe and discoverFeel free to askDifference between 'fled' and 'flew'Difference between let and permit