injustice; evil; bad; broken law; transgression
skirting
protection
wrong
economy

Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'?

Shouldn't there be an article in front of a Noun? | How do you say 'make your dog pee' as in I walk out Doggy to let him pee?
Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2008 17:38 pm   Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'?

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for wander", question 5

You'd better get back to work instead of ......... nervously up and down the corridors.

(a) pacing
(b) ranging
(c) strolling
(d) stalking

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for wander", answer 5

You'd better get back to work instead of pacing nervously up and down the corridors.

Correct answer: (a) pacing

You'd better get back to work instead of strolling nervously up and down the corridors.
_________________________

Why's not possible to have someone "strolling up and down the corridor"? I mean, you can "stroll along the sea" (up and down the seaside...).

Does "pace" imply a movement of the legs (as in stride, but slower)?

Alessandro
Alessandro

Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'? #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2008 23:20 pm   Why's not possible to have someone 'strolling up and down the corridor'?

Hi Alessandro

The big hints in the sentence are the words 'nervously' and 'up and down'.

The verb 'pace' means 'to walk with in one direction and back again, usually because you are anxious, nervous or worried about something'.

The verb 'stroll', on the other hand, usually means 'walk in a relaxed fashion'. It suggests a pleasant situation and a positive frame of mind.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Congress the legislative branch of the US government.What does "on the point of" mean?How can I answer a apology? Can I say It's OK don't worry about it?stalke vs ramblewhy use single instead of using solitary?difference between lonely, lonesome and solitarydifference between precursors, predecessors and progenitorsWhat is a synonym of "feature"? Can I use it as the adjective?An agent highest duty is to his principal but his duty to the third party...What does accrual mean?"Sue's flight" - is correct?what is the meaning of the word chintzy?what is the difference between simile and metaphore?