to occupy a place; to take a place; to obtain at an advance opportunity
anticipate
locate
preempt
cast

why is an article "a", but not "the"?

Penalty vs. punishment | What does this phrase mean: 'turn it in'? Is it an idiom?
why is an article "a", but not "the"? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 am   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", question 6

Do you want to watch ......... movie with me tonight?

(a) a
(b) an
(c) the

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", answer 6

Do you want to watch a movie with me tonight?

Correct answer: (a) a

Do you want to watch the movie with me tonight?
_________________________

why"a" but"the"?

Huong
Huong

why is an article "a", but not "the"? #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:07 am   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

.
Well, actually both are OK, Huong, but we are expected to read the question as a first mention of the movie. I will ask the question writer about changing it, thank you.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
why is an article "a", but not "the"? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 13:05 pm   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

Please tell me 'practise' is correct or wrong in this statement:of course the best way of practise are English conversations with other people.

In my opinion the write word is 'practice'- a noun. I AM I WRITE OR WRONG?
What is the subject of the above sentence?
Lal

why is an article "a", but not "the"? #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 13:12 pm   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

You are right.

As I understand it, Americans use 'practice' for the verb and the noun, while Brits use 'practice' for the noun and 'practise' for the verb.
_________________

What does set the world on fire mean?What does furry mean?"bird of a different color" vs "bird of the same feathers"'the hard shorts the CEO' vs 'the big shorts the CEO'what is the expression of hot off the press?What does platypus mean?What is a platypuse?adjust vs. adaptWhat does 'this business really suits me' mean?Tortoise and the Hare?Found on the hands?What is the meaning of lambs?meaning of gracious