Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to occupy a place; to take a place; to obtain at an advance opportunity
anticipate
locate
preempt
cast
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

why is an article "a", but not "the"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Penalty vs. punishment | What does this phrase mean: 'turn it in'? Is it an idiom?
listening exercises
why is an article "a", but not "the"? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 am   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", question 6

Do you want to watch ......... movie with me tonight?

(a) a
(b) an
(c) the

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", answer 6

Do you want to watch a movie with me tonight?

Correct answer: (a) a

Your answer was: incorrect
Do you want to watch the movie with me tonight?

why"a" but"the"?

Huong
Huong

why is an article "a", but not "the"? #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:07 am   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

Well, actually both are OK, Huong, but we are expected to read the question as a first mention of the movie. I will ask the question writer about changing it, thank you.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
why is an article "a", but not "the"? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 13:05 pm   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

Please tell me 'practise' is correct or wrong in this statement:of course the best way of practise are English conversations with other people.

In my opinion the write word is 'practice'- a noun. I AM I WRITE OR WRONG?
What is the subject of the above sentence?
Lal

why is an article "a", but not "the"? #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 13:12 pm   why is an article "a", but not "the"?

You are right.

As I understand it, Americans use 'practice' for the verb and the noun, while Brits use 'practice' for the noun and 'practise' for the verb.

Penalty vs. punishment | What does this phrase mean: 'turn it in'? Is it an idiom?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does set the world on fire mean?What does furry mean?"bird of a different color" vs "bird of the same feathers"'the hard shorts the CEO' vs 'the big shorts the CEO'what is the expression of hot off the press?What does platypus mean?What is a platypuse?adjust vs. adaptWhat does 'this business really suits me' mean?Tortoise and the Hare?Found on the hands?What is the meaning of lambs?meaning of gracious