schedule; agenda; written order of events
program
creativity
still
trust

experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting

What's the difference between a folktale and an essay? | using the following words or subordinating conjuctions after, although, as...
experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:27 pm   experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting

Test No. incompl/advan-83 "GMAT Verbal Quiz (6)", question 8

It was a totally new experience for us visiting that factory abroad as we were ......... to all sorts of new techniques.

(a) involved
(b) intended
(c) invested
(d) introduced

Test No. incompl/advan-83 "GMAT Verbal Quiz (6)", answer 8

It was a totally new experience for us visiting that factory abroad as we were introduced to all sorts of new techniques.

Correct answer: (d) introduced

It was a totally new experience for us visiting that factory abroad as we were involved to all sorts of new techniques.
_________________________

Why not involved?
Laurah
Laurah

Introduced to #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 03, 2005 18:02 pm   Introduced to

If you wanted to use involved, it would have to be followed by in and it is the wrong meaning because introduced to means meet for the first time.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:04 am   experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting

Hi Alan,
why isn't it "It was a totally new experience for us TO VISIT that factory abroad as we were ......... to all sorts of new techniques."?

Many thanks
Nessie
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 am   experience for us to visit vs. experience for us visiting

Hi Nessie,

You could use the infinitive and that would make it more specific. Take these two:

It was great fun to go for a swim before we had breakfast.

It was great fun going for a swim before we had breakfast.

There's very little difference, really.

_________________

What's the meaning of saturday night special?What do the terms long/short horizon mean?trainees vs trainersabout vs. concerningmeaning of "keeps his nose clean"What does 'annoying' mean?What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?difference between dressing down and dressing upmeaning of "Come down with"thinking of buying vs. thinking to buydrew a line vs. painted a lineIs raise cain an idiom?Idiom: an arm and a leg