to provide with the required supplies, tools and items
equip
privatize
inconvenience
overlap

difference between beat and hit

what does "put his foot in it" mean? | 'police officer' vs 'police man'
difference between beat and hit #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:14 am   difference between beat and hit

ESL/EFL Test #28 "The Hare and the Tortoise", question 3

The tortoise agreed that the hare ran as fast as the wind but claimed that he could easily ......... him in a race.

(a) strike
(b) hit
(c) beat
(d) knock

ESL/EFL Test #28 "The Hare and the Tortoise", answer 3

The tortoise agreed that the hare ran as fast as the wind but claimed that he could easily beat him in a race.

Correct answer: (c) beat

The tortoise agreed that the hare ran as fast as the wind but claimed that he could easily hit him in a race.
_________________________

What difference between BEAT and HIT?

Clair
Clair

difference between beat and hit #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:58 pm   difference between beat and hit

.
'Beat' can mean 'hit repeatedly', but it has another meaning-- here, it means 'win against; triumph over'.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "weakest spot"meaning of cumbersomemeaning of bedlamWhat does this idiom mean: water under the bridgeprotagonis vs. antagonisRelationship idioms?What is the difference between stalking and straining?Meaning of 'Two out of every five companies struck...'what does the phrase "go back" mean?What does chin mean?meaning of afterlifeexample of sentence of the word retractableone complex sentence, with two subordinate clauses and a main clause