an undertaking that is dangerous, daring, or of uncertain outcome
venture
comfort
court
expectation

"go out" vs "go on"

What kind of prizes is the US Open? | I like even numbers better than odd ones
"go out" vs "go on" #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 am   "go out" vs "go on"

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with the phrasal verb go", question 2

Would you rather ......... for a picnic or a meal at a restaurant?

(a) go off
(b) go out
(c) go on
(d) go over

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with the phrasal verb go", answer 2

Would you rather go out for a picnic or a meal at a restaurant?

Correct answer: (b) go out

Would you rather go on for a picnic or a meal at a restaurant?
_________________________

why use "go out" instead of "go on"?

Libretto
Libretto

"go out" vs "go on" #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 am   "go out" vs "go on"

The suggestion here is that 'go out' refers to the idea of leaving your home and having a meal in a different place. 'Go on' can often mean 'continue' and wouldn't really make sense in that sentence.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"go out" vs "go on" #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 19, 2008 14:09 pm   "go out" vs "go on"

.
A very common collocation is "go on a picnic", but the test sentence includes the word for, so the phrasal verb go on doesn't work here.
.
_________________

"go out" vs "go on" #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 19, 2008 19:58 pm   "go out" vs "go on"

And of course you can go for a picnic.

_________________

"go out" vs "go on" #5 (permalink) Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:38 am   "go out" vs "go on"

Dear Sirs, coould you please check the test : "Would you rather ......... for Chinese food or Italian food?"
Svetvin

"go out" vs "go on" #6 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 am   "go out" vs "go on"

in the question of this test there is: Would you rather go out for Chinese food or Italian food?

and when I click for the explanation there is: Would you rather go out for a picnic or a meal at a restaurant?

is 'go out' also correct in the question of this test?

"go out" vs "go on" #7 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 am   "go out" vs "go on"

"go out" vs "go on" #8 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 17:09 pm   "go out" vs "go on"

Yes.
_________________

nuisance tests, urm, plantsWhat is an eggplant?He ordered the rack of lamb as his entreeChildren should never be allowed to playPulling through this periodthat name rings a bellinstill a love for learningA freedom warrior is a common term...a reasonable person'perpetulate' vs 'perpetuate'people enjoyed bowling at village dancesI was told that his chances for pulling down the surgery were slim and if he...Why use "starred" in this sentence?