Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

situation; requirement; circumstance; stipulation
reservation
hallmark
condition
inference
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

past perfect vs. simple past

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of slang expression: 'do up' | What is a carseat?
listening exercises
past perfect vs. simple past #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:14 am   past perfect vs. simple past

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", question 2

By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I ......... extremely tired.

(a) feel
(b) have felt
(c) felt
(d) am feeling

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", answer 2

By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I felt extremely tired.

Correct answer: (c) felt

Your answer was: incorrect
By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I have felt extremely tired.

when is the best time to use have / had

Tensy
Tensy

past perfect vs. simple past #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:55 am   past perfect vs. simple past

Simply speaking, use present perfect (have done) when the action or the effect of the action continues from the past up to the present time. Use past perfect (had done) when the action or the effect of the action continued from the farther past to the past moment of the other verb.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
past perfect vs. simple past #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 24, 2008 14:23 pm   past perfect vs. simple past

It would be typical to use the simple past tense after 'by the time'. The use of the past perfect (had reached) strikes me a quite odd here.

By the time I reached the bottom of the mountain, I felt extremely tired.

If you wanted to indicate that a feeling of tiredness came only after you reached the bottom of the mountain, then it would be better to use the word 'after' rather than 'by the time'.

After I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I felt extremely tired.

past perfect vs. simple past #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:09 am   past perfect vs. simple past

Or "By the time I reached the bottom of the mountain, I had felt extremely tired."
Johnny04
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

past perfect vs. simple past #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:14 am   past perfect vs. simple past

That sounds even more odd!
Language Coach

meaning of slang expression: 'do up' | What is a carseat?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
I hope the professor teaches usin really big trouble.stopped at the marketWhat does armoire mean?What is flax?REMnot unlikeWhy "finished" but not "finishes"?Has been blowing all night -- not finished yet?What is body wash?in alphabetical orderMeaning of ordinalDifference between at last and finally