situation; requirement; circumstance; stipulation
reservation
hallmark
condition
inference

past perfect vs. simple past

meaning of slang expression: 'do up' | What is a carseat?
past perfect vs. simple past #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:14 am   past perfect vs. simple past

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", question 2

By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I ......... extremely tired.

(a) feel
(b) have felt
(c) felt
(d) am feeling

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", answer 2

By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I felt extremely tired.

Correct answer: (c) felt

By the time I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I have felt extremely tired.
_________________________

when is the best time to use have / had

Tensy
Tensy

past perfect vs. simple past #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:55 am   past perfect vs. simple past

.
Simply speaking, use present perfect (have done) when the action or the effect of the action continues from the past up to the present time. Use past perfect (had done) when the action or the effect of the action continued from the farther past to the past moment of the other verb.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
past perfect vs. simple past #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 24, 2008 14:23 pm   past perfect vs. simple past

It would be typical to use the simple past tense after 'by the time'. The use of the past perfect (had reached) strikes me a quite odd here.

By the time I reached the bottom of the mountain, I felt extremely tired.

If you wanted to indicate that a feeling of tiredness came only after you reached the bottom of the mountain, then it would be better to use the word 'after' rather than 'by the time'.

After I had reached the bottom of the mountain, I felt extremely tired.
.
_________________

past perfect vs. simple past #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:09 am   past perfect vs. simple past

Or "By the time I reached the bottom of the mountain, I had felt extremely tired."
Johnny04

past perfect vs. simple past #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:14 am   past perfect vs. simple past

That sounds even more odd!
_________________

I hope the professor teaches usin really big trouble.stopped at the marketWhat does armoire mean?What is flax?REMnot unlikeWhy "finished" but not "finishes"?Has been blowing all night -- not finished yet?What is body wash?in alphabetical orderMeaning of ordinalDifference between at last and finally