distance that an arm can extend
familiar
reach
caution
advancement

'away on business' vs 'away for business'

Idiom: walking on air? | why should be ages instead of times?
'away on business' vs 'away for business' #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 24, 2008 20:44 pm   'away on business' vs 'away for business'

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #53 "Business Expressions (2)", question 6

I'm afraid it won't be possible to talk to the boss today because he's away ......... business till Tuesday.

(a) off
(b) on
(c) for
(d) to

ESL/EFL Test #53 "Business Expressions (2)", answer 6

I'm afraid it won't be possible to talk to the boss today because he's away on business till Tuesday.

Correct answer: (b) on

I'm afraid it won't be possible to talk to the boss today because he's away for business till Tuesday.
_________________________

why is it wrong?

Dima
Dima

'away on business' vs 'away for business' #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 25, 2008 0:52 am   'away on business' vs 'away for business'

'On business' suggests that you are away dealing with business. 'For business' would sound strange on its own and would more likely be something like 'for business reasons'.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
what is the difference between hunger and starve?'adverbial modifier of time' vs. 'object'surgery vs brushingWhat does 'place of work' mean?What is "ascorbic acid"?what does "I beg your pardon" mean?'we go to the lake' vs 'we go the lake'what does "go on strike" mean?meaning of neglectwhat includes an economic advantage of a business combination?What's the difference between needful and necessary?pretend vs predictwhat does weaker mean?