to impede; to obstruct; to hinder; to meddle
pretend
margin
interfere
tie

why should be ages instead of times?

'away on business' vs 'away for business' | what does "go on strike" mean?
why should be ages instead of times? #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:52 am   why should be ages instead of times?

ESL/EFL Test #276 "If memory serves me right", question 2

Pete: I'm not really worried. It's just that for ......... I've been trying to remember the name of that actor in the first ever colour film.

(a) times
(b) ages
(c) periods
(d) lengths

ESL/EFL Test #276 "If memory serves me right", answer 2

Pete: I'm not really worried. It's just that for ages I've been trying to remember the name of that actor in the first ever colour film.

Correct answer: (b) ages

Pete: I'm not really worried. It's just that for times I've been trying to remember the name of that actor in the first ever colour film.
_________________________

why should be ages instead of times

Janita
Janita

why should be ages instead of times? #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 am   why should be ages instead of times?

Hi Janita,

'For times' could be used to mean for special occasions and would then have to be defined with some sort of clause as in: For times when I feel tired, I usually have a cup of coffee. In the test sentence the expression 'for ages' is the right one because it means 'for a very long time.'

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Why must we use the preposition up instead of on?what is the difference between hunger and starve?'adverbial modifier of time' vs. 'object'surgery vs brushingWhat does 'place of work' mean?What is "ascorbic acid"?what does "I beg your pardon" mean?'we go to the lake' vs 'we go the lake'meaning of neglectIdiom: walking on air?what includes an economic advantage of a business combination?What's the difference between needful and necessary?pretend vs predict