Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

seemingly; probably
likely
above
further
nevertheless
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of aftertaste

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
done my lesson vs. done my homework | What is the difference between 'voyage' and 'carriage'?
listening exercises
meaning of aftertaste #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:19 pm   meaning of aftertaste

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #155 "Compound words: aftermath, afterthought, afterbirth", question 1

After experiencing too many late ......... "sinking spells", The Duchess of Bedford arrived upon the idea of having tea and finger food at about 5 p.m.

(a) afterwards
(b) afterbirth
(c) afternoon
(d) aftertaste

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #155 "Compound words: aftermath, afterthought, afterbirth", answer 1

After experiencing too many late afternoon "sinking spells", The Duchess of Bedford arrived upon the idea of having tea and finger food at about 5 p.m.

Correct answer: (c) afternoon

please, what it means "aftertaste? thanks

Bimo
Bimo

meaning of aftertaste #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:23 am   meaning of aftertaste

AFTERTASTE

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of aftertaste #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:44 am   meaning of aftertaste

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

110 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello Teachers

Can you explain the meaning of "too many late afternoon "sinking spells", please?

Thank you

meaning of aftertaste #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:56 am   meaning of aftertaste

One more thing, explain the meaning "arrive upon" and "finger food" for me, please!

Thank you very much

meaning of aftertaste #5 (permalink) Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:03 am   meaning of aftertaste

"too many late afternoon "sinking spells" -- she often got tired in the afternoon.

"arrive upon" - get the idea of

"finger food" -snacks

meaning of aftertaste #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 am   meaning of aftertaste

sinking spell - a temporary decline in health or value
finger food - food to be eaten with the fingers
I'm here quite often ;-)

meaning of aftertaste #7 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 13:27 pm   meaning of aftertaste

"arrive upon" - get the idea of

arrived upon the idea of =?

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning of aftertaste #8 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 14:28 pm   meaning of aftertaste

I wasn't careful with my definition, was I, Saneta? I meant this:

"arrive upon the idea of" = get the idea of

done my lesson vs. done my homework | What is the difference between 'voyage' and 'carriage'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
get away Scot-freeWhy it's not" breath out "?Would you like me to transfer you?What does this mean: Come home full circle?What does at the very least mean?typo: surgeonMy friend is brokeHe always helps out the underprivilegedinterest vs. interestingly"break away" vs "break out"correlative of comparison: as ... asrelation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?What does break down mean?