to confess to something; to allow entrance; to accept as valid
admit
respect
bond
inspire

Expression 'try to find money to pay all the bills'

Which of the following is an example of a measure of leverage? | What is a crowd of people?
Expression 'try to find money to pay all the bills' #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:40 am   Expression 'try to find money to pay all the bills'

English Idioms and Expressions, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Just keep it", question 3

In a situation like his of course the one thing you must do is keep the wolf from the door and try to find money to pay all the bills.

(a) get rid of wild animals
(b) get enough money to live on
(c) make sure the door is locked
(d) not let wild animals in

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Just keep it", answer 3

In a situation like his of course the one thing you must do is get enough money to live on and try to find money to pay all the bills.

Correct answer: (b) get enough money to live on

In a situation like his of course the one thing you must do is make sure the door is locked and try to find money to pay all the bills.
_________________________

I can't understand this statement or sentence.

.... Get enough money to live on ....

... try to find money to pay all the bills....

Both sentences sound very similar or almost the same. Can I have some kind of explanation? Thank you very much

Carman
Carman

Expression 'try to find money to pay all the bills' #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:55 am   Expression 'try to find money to pay all the bills'

Hi Carman

'Keep the wolf from the door' suggests that that you are trying to survive - not wanting to starve. That is best described by get enough money to live on. The idea in this sort of test is to give a suggestion of what the idiom means within the sentence.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
is lifetime more of a benefit to sellers of low-cost?which component of the consumer decision making process does verbind's...forget vs ignoreWhat does the idiom 'have your finger in the pie' mean?What does the idiom 'cool as culcumber' mean?meaning of phrasal verb 'break off', 'break out' and 'break away'transaction vs depositroom vs placedifference between true and truthCDFC stands for what in mutual funds?'with all' vs 'at all'what is difference between transistor and mosfet?What does 'count their calories' mean?