infinite; boundless
evasive
unlimited
corporate
previous

Difference between listen and hear

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) | Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here?
Difference between listen and hear #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 08, 2005 13:55 pm   Difference between listen and hear

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", question 7

Now will you please ......... me and pay attention to what I'm saying because it's very important.

(a) hear
(b) listen to
(c) hearing
(d) listening to

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", answer 7

Now will you please listen to me and pay attention to what I'm saying because it's very important.

Correct answer: (b) listen to

Now will you please hear me and pay attention to what I'm saying because it's very important.
_________________________

Why I can?t use hear? For example, I?m just hearing and someone want me to pay attention.
Barbora

Difference between listen and hear #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 08, 2005 16:27 pm   Difference between listen and hear

You wouldn't ask someone to hear you because you can hear all the time. You want them to listen to you, which means pay attention to them at one particular time. It's the same as see which you do all the time and look at which is to turn your eyes on to something particular.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between listen and hear #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2005 20:07 pm   Difference between listen and hear

Perfect explanation ! Thank you !

Difference between listen and hear #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 29, 2005 15:58 pm   Difference between listen and hear

Yes, I have just taken it in.
This is the best explanation of hear/listen to I have ever read.

Thank you Alan.

--
Best wishes,
Simon

Difference between listen and hear #5 (permalink) Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:39 am   Difference between listen and hear

yepp awesome explanation......thank you !!!
can u explain ....which one is right ??
He is weeping or he is crying ..and if first one is wrong then what is reason behind it ???
Amit2ss2003enator

Difference between listen and hear #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 10, 2010 14:12 pm   Difference between listen and hear

yup:) now i understand the diffrence between these two.thank you so much for such good explanation
Sathstars

Difference between listen and hear #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 11, 2010 0:22 am   Difference between listen and hear

i agree with your explanation because the word listen is preferring to some one that you have to attention what's his/she saying.
Aprillove20

Difference between listen and hear #8 (permalink) Thu May 12, 2011 13:49 pm   Difference between listen and hear

yes it is and you are right !!!!!
Mastewal

Difference between listen and hear #9 (permalink) Sun Jun 19, 2011 20:01 pm   Difference between listen and hear

thx for the english I am learing a lot in this .
Ssswathi

Difference between listen and hear #10 (permalink) Sun Jun 19, 2011 21:48 pm   Difference between listen and hear

yea , thats right ... thank you very much ...
Zainb

Location: Iraq

Difference between listen and hear #11 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:06 am   Difference between listen and hear

Hi, everybody

Could you tell me what is different from see, look at, and watch?
Wly

Difference between listen and hear #12 (permalink) Mon Nov 21, 2011 19:27 pm   Difference between listen and hear

Hi Mr Alan.Thanks a lot for you best explanation.
best regards.
Jomiev1

Location: Tajikistan

Difference between listen and hear #13 (permalink) Mon Nov 21, 2011 19:30 pm   Difference between listen and hear

to Wly

look to the Alan's explanation there you can find answer for you questions.
Jomiev1

Location: Tajikistan

Difference between listen and hear #14 (permalink) Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm   Difference between listen and hear

Nice explanation , Alan :)
Lots of thanks :)
Ahmad6889

Location: Iran

Re: Difference between listen and hear #15 (permalink) Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 am   Re: Difference between listen and hear

listen:Pay attention to a particular sound
Why should I repeat "pay attention to what I am saying"

hear: able to receive sound through your ears
listen: pay attention to a particular sound through your ears as in:
According to the definition it should be--
Will you please listen to me. it's very important.

Am I correct?
Brother1

Your little girl usually cries to get her way...difference between the use of site and placeWhy stands instead of calm?Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, copeWaiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?Diffrence between another and "the other"After vs. laterIdiom: there's little chanceDifference between yet and stillIdiom: 'heaven only knows'Meaning of "There's no point"To bite the dustBeginning vs. Begin