Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

truthfulness; sincerity; integrity; frankness
plane
supplement
merger
honesty
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

American English: It is (high) time (that)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
as you see them | Allowing for Inflation
listening exercises
American English: It is (high) time (that) #16 (permalink) Sat May 30, 2009 1:01 am   American English: It is (high) time (that)

Quote:
It's high time we were leaving.

I think this is just a combination of the subjunctive (as above)-- 'It's high time we left' and the use of the progressive to emphasize the durational aspect, probably for the purpose of exhibiting increased interest/concern, as one would do when mentioning one's possible departure from a group.

American English: It is (high) time (that) #17 (permalink) Sat May 30, 2009 10:10 am   American English: It is (high) time (that)

Quote:
1. It is (high) time (that) I went now. [universally acceptable, current English]
2. It is (high) time (that) I should go now. [old-fashioned, British English]
3. It is (high) time (that) I go now. [old-fashioned, American English]

How about this one:
4. It is (high) time to go now.

Is it correct too?
Comeon

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
American English: It is (high) time (that) #18 (permalink) Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 am   American English: It is (high) time (that)

That sounds fine too, Comeon. The infinitive is an alternative
structure here.

[American English] It is (high) time (that) #19 (permalink) Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 am   [American English] It is (high) time (that)

Mister Micawber wrote:
Me too (and mine is AmE) -- only the hypothetical past as in #1. Note that the subjunctive is not used with this fixed phrase, either: It's high time I was / (X) were going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive

To give another example, "It is high time that we bought a new car". Although bought appears to be the past tense of the verb to buy, actually the car has not been purchased yet. Here, the past subjunctive is used to express a wish or a suggestion.

American English: It is (high) time (that) #20 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:00 am   American English: It is (high) time (that)

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst149302_It-s-HIGH-time.aspx
Here is what my favorite grammarian wrote in his masterpiece:

1. It is high time that he go.
2. It is high time that he went. He calls this a more "modest" statement. He doesn't define "modest." After reading the Grammar Logs' statement that it expresses some doubt, I am guessing that he meant that it is a bit less insistent. For example, "It is time that [name of dictator) go" sounds like an order. "It is time that [name of dictator] went" does indeed sound a little less insistent -- at least to me.
3. It is high time that he were going.
4. It is high time that he should go.

George Oliver Curme, A Grammar of the English Language Vol. II (1931), page 405.

as you see them | Allowing for Inflation
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The ministry of the/interior of ......Who polices the policeliking/likemade meaning of her lifesuitcasedeciding/decisionembarrassEnteringyourselfA book or website teaching similar words differencesThose boys chattingwithout me askingHaving been