Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

method of dealing with a certain subject; draft of a treaty
vegetable
protocol
neglect
paradigm
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
meaning: hypervenerate | about that and about it.
listening exercises
Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 am   Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth

1/ 1/2 can be read "a half" or "one half".
1/3 can be read "a third" or "one third"
so can 1/4 be read "a fourth" or "one fourth"?

2/ Despite its antiquity, certain aspects of its construction make it one of the truly wonders of the world

=> I don't understand why they use truly (an adverb) here. Is the sentence wrong?

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 19, 2008 14:19 pm   Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth

Hi Nessie

1. Yes

2. No, that word order doesn't work. However, if you moved the word truly as follows, it would be OK:
"Despite its antiquity, certain aspects of its construction make it truly one of the wonders of the world."

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 am   Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth

Nessie,

You incorrectly copied the sentence. The actual sentence is "truly great". This would utilize "truly" as an adverb to modify the adjective "great".

"Despite its antiquity, certain aspects of its construction make it one of truly great wonders of the world."
Miss Anubis

meaning: hypervenerate | about that and about it.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is it called a simple sentence with two predicates?Poem: What God has joined together, No human being must separate...Act & actionPronoun: He did it himself. vs He did it on his own. vs He did it by himself.IF clauseIs this correct?A question about : tiredThe Alan's text "Learning to teach"Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"Phrase "keeping score at home"Supply or provide?Need some help with the English Newsletter - Potatoes!What does euphemistic mean? (English language newsletter):