to send; to direct; to ascribe to; to relate to; to apply to; to call attention to
arrive
refer
wait
mistake

difference between dither and distract

I know it's hard, but you have to stick with it | Other vs. another
difference between dither and distract #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 23, 2008 20:00 pm   difference between dither and distract

ESL/EFL Test #274 "Reaching agreement", question 7

Of course once you are inside the building where you have to put your cross against the name of the candidate you choose, there is no time to ......... or hesitate.

(a) dither
(b) distract
(c) digress
(d) differ

ESL/EFL Test #274 "Reaching agreement", answer 7

Of course once you are inside the building where you have to put your cross against the name of the candidate you choose, there is no time to dither or hesitate.

Correct answer: (a) dither

Of course once you are inside the building where you have to put your cross against the name of the candidate you choose, there is no time to distract or hesitate.
_________________________

whaŽ's the difference between dither and distract

Vicki
Vicki

difference between dither and distract #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 23, 2008 23:52 pm   difference between dither and distract

.
A lot.

Dither: make a fuss; be agitated; act nervously; be undecided; be uncertain.
Distract: draw someone's attention away from something; disturb in mind or make uneasy or cause to be worried or alarmed.

Dithering is something one does.; distracting is something done to one by an outside force.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between dither and distract #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 17, 2013 14:44 pm   difference between dither and distract

the difference between : dither and hesitate?
many thanks

difference between dither and distract #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 21, 2013 19:48 pm   difference between dither and distract

Hi Saneta,

The word 'dither' suggests a more prolonged inability to make a decision.

When a person hesitates, the hesitation is likely to be of shorter duration, maybe even just a few seconds.
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

difference between dither and distract #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 21, 2013 20:55 pm   difference between dither and distract

Hi Saneta,

Weak leaders, particularly politicians who can't make a decision about what to do in a crisis, are often described as dithering.

_________________

for an agreed upon amountso I could have her call yousend a phone number by snail mail having written it on the handed piece of paperDavid withheld information during the criminal investigationto travel light -- to travel without much luggagea litter of puppiesWhat does household mean?Who is uncle?Can you give me an example of irony?why should be fly instead of flow?difference between setting, sketch and sonnetmeaning of satireWhat is a simile and a metaphor?