to withdraw from a position (usually due to old age); go into seclusion; to withdraw
retire
grit
embark
spend

meaning of "deep water"

Someone gave me a piece of adive | Whether the FCPA Act applies to Joint venture companies of the US?
meaning of "deep water" #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 am   meaning of "deep water"

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", question 4

After all the money that she's borrowed and also spent, she now finds herself in deep water -- means: ..........

(a) in decline
(b) in despair
(c) in defeat
(d) in trouble

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", answer 4

After all the money that she's borrowed and also spent, she now finds herself in deep water -- means: in trouble.

Correct answer: (d) in trouble
_________________________

deep water?

Manul
Manul

meaning of "deep water" #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:38 am   meaning of "deep water"

Hi Manul,

'Deep water' suggesting 'in trouble' or 'in difficulties' possibly comes from the idea that if you are swimming in a river and you find you can't swim any more because you are tired, you could drown if your feet can't touch the river bed because the water is too 'deep'.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
what do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?Why is "I feel like such a gullible person"?need vs. mustraise vs. ariseWhat does 'whose' mean?why "set of" is used in this case?Voting for a candidatewhy not 'tone' or 'sound'?Expression 'Make their minds up'Is there such a term as "try back"?since vs whilewhat the elements involve in the study of organistional behaviour?