Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

something that is superimposed
leave
expense
entry
overlap
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

about the differences of object and complement

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
become excited vs. become scared | What is a telephone jack and why is it called jack?
listening exercises
about the differences of object and complement #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:00 am   about the differences of object and complement

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", question 4

He doesn't trust .........?

(a) I
(b) it
(c) me

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", answer 4

He doesn't trust me?

Correct answer: (c) me

Please tell me about the differences of object and complement.

Regards,
Zoni
Zoni

about the differences of object and complement #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 am   about the differences of object and complement

Some grammarians use the term 'complement' to refer to direct and indirect objects, while others use it to refer to a complement occurring after a linking verb (a subject complement).

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
about the differences of object and complement #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 am   about the differences of object and complement

HI everyone!
I have a question.
I would like to ask when i should use "i" and "me". I hear that some time people use "i" instead of "me" in such cases.

Thank you.

about the differences of object and complement #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 am   about the differences of object and complement

In which cases? Please be specific. 'I' is a subject pronoun and 'me' is an object pronoun.

about the differences of object and complement #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:38 am   about the differences of object and complement

Mister Micawber wrote:
In which cases? Please be specific. 'I' is a subject pronoun and 'me' is an object pronoun.

Sorry, I mean the sentence at the top message.
"He doesn't trust me?"
I've found that some of the native speakers say "He doesn't trust 'I'?"

about the differences of object and complement #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:50 am   about the differences of object and complement

If native speakers use 'I' in that context, they have got it even more wrong than they usually do!

In your sentence, 'he' is the subject, 'me' is the object. 'Me' is an object pronoun.

This explanation may help.
Language Coach

about the differences of object and complement #7 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 am   about the differences of object and complement

Beeesneees wrote:
If native speakers use 'I' in that context, they have got it even more wrong than they usually do!

In your sentence, 'he' is the subject, 'me' is the object. 'Me' is an object pronoun.

This explanation may help.

I've got it. Thank you very much Beesneees!

about the differences of object and complement #8 (permalink) Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 am   about the differences of object and complement

And I would love to see an authentic example of a native English speaker saying 'He doesn't trust I'!

about the differences of object and complement #9 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:34 am   about the differences of object and complement

MM, I don't think you will. lol I suspect the poster is probably confusing it with one of these: "He doesn't trust you and I."
Mordant
Language Coach

about the differences of object and complement #10 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:24 am   about the differences of object and complement

Mordant wrote:
MM, I don't think you will. lol I suspect the poster is probably confusing it with one of these: "He doesn't trust you and I."

nope,
And there is one more senetence, "He loves her more than I"
Was it wrong or just becuase it is an idiomatic expression?

Again, thank you for your attention.

Aiken

about the differences of object and complement #11 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 am   about the differences of object and complement

Well, what do you think it means, Aiken?

He loves her more than he loves me or He loves her more than I love her?

about the differences of object and complement #12 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 am   about the differences of object and complement

Mister Micawber wrote:
Well, what do you think it means, Aiken?

He loves her more than he loves me or He loves her more than I love her?

I am not sure. Coz this sentence is from a book.
I believe there is an ambiguity, too.
Incidentally, whether this sentence is correct?

Aiken

about the differences of object and complement #13 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 am   about the differences of object and complement

The sentence is correct if it means 'He loves her more than I love her,' and incorrect if it means, 'He loves her more than he loves me'. (Which is why MM sought clarification before answering.)
Language Coach

become excited vs. become scared | What is a telephone jack and why is it called jack?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is a cell phone?its vs. theirFraternal twins vs. identical twinsclearning vs. brushingWhat is a senior citizen?What is a remote control?What is a motion sensor?What does telemarketing mean?What's a carescape?Do the platypuses lay eggs?What do you mean by mammals?What is the difference between grisly and gruesome?How do I know if my answer is correct or not?